Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Camshaft noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018 | 03:18 AM
electroach
|
6th Gear
Default Camshaft noise

Hi!

Sorry if that question already exist somewhere on the forum, but I think that my issue is a little bit different and strange...

I've just changed my stock cam for an Andrews EV23. I have changed tappets at the same time (Feuling HP+).
Everything looks fine, and the bike run great. But I have a strange noise behavior:

- It make like lifter ticking noise (tiktiktiktik) - only when the engine is warm (after 30 minutes riding)
AND
- It make a whining noise (winwinwinwin) - at every temperature.
Related to amount of throttle. It sounds like old Kawasaki from the 70's or Triumph Speed Triple, if you know what I mean...

If I had only one of these symptom, it should be easy to fix. But in this case I don't know what to do.

Usualy, the whining is due to too small backlash with the pinion gear. To avoid that, I have changed the pinion for a smaller one (green).
The problem remain the same, but with a little less noise.

In the opposite way, the ticking noise is usually because of a too big pinion gear. ****.

So, what guys are your advises?
Should I install adjustable pushrods? maybe will fix the ticking problem.
Should I acquire another camshaft? I think about a VThunder EVL-3010
Should I go back to stock cam?

FYI, I have changed the cam bearing twice (maybe the first one have a problem). I have also changed the breather for an S&S Reed valve (without gear)

In advance, thank you for your help!

Xavier

(sorry for my English, I speaks French in my part of Switzerland)

Old 06-21-2018 | 02:01 PM
electroach
|
6th Gear

Sorry, double post... The active one is here : https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...am-change.html