Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

cam and piston upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 11:11 PM
01HellOnWheels
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam and piston upgrade.

hey guys, im looking for some advice. i have a 2012 Roadglide custom. right now it has SE 255 cams, Arlen Ness Big Sucker intake, and a Vance and Hines Pro Pipe and a Fuel Moto tune.

I had a friend give me a set of Screamin Eagle high comp pistons and a set of Fueling 574 reaper cams.

My question is, if i decide to put these cams and pistons in, will it create too much power for all of the rest of the stock components of the engine. I do a lot of High Mile trips and dont want to get stranded because these upgrades ruined something else that was over looked.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:38 AM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default alot more to this than tossing in his parts

once u try to put in his stuff, I'm assuming used pistons, u have to worry about wear and tapers on his used stuff, wear on your cylinder, round or tapered . your cylinder will need to be plateau honed to get oil grooves back into them . u will need a new set of rings. are his piston pins to connecting rods worn. are his piston ring grooves worn. now u risk oil blow by if all these things are not in top spec. if your bike has original pistons in the bike its hopefully not using any oil if break in was a good one. you may want to stay with your stock flat tops if your oil usage is real low. now with his pistons domed u need to know the piston dome cc of it to calculate the compression, and the cc of your stock heads, added in the reaper cam to get get true compression. all this could be a terrible combination of parts and give u an even worse motor to run than u have now with the 255 in there. I'm guessing the 255 on stock 103 would be about 100 torque maybe 90 hp . with lots of low end, don't know where power curve on the 574 is but it may be a top end only cam. u need a engine builder with knowledge of the combo of these parts to get a true picture of how motor will run. not sure of dome cc and cc of head and the reaper, the compression may be too high and ping like a bitch. . call hillside cycle I'm sure scott can give u more info on this combo of parts.. prodrag in here is another great source of info. I just took off a terrible combo of parts on my bike, parts guys at hd dealer are the worst source of info for head cam combos. u need an experienced engine builder to answer these questions. I have a 107 kit from hillside going on my bike with stage 2 heads worth every penny, Andrews 57 cams 58 mm intake. If I ever get time to work on it, started pulling bike apart yesterday and got called into work early , I did at one point have a 103 with the 255 cams manual decomp releases, bike was pretty good on hills in Virginia. I think the 57 are pretty good on stock 103 but believe u need a thinner head gasket to get compression in the best sweet spot for the 57 to work on a 103..

Last edited by 2009blackpearle; 03-08-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:13 AM
01HellOnWheels
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy cow, tons of info. Thanks a lot man. I guess I'll just scrap this stuff and just buy new. Maybe just use the cams.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:47 AM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

his stuff may have worn ok but unless u do a lot of measuring u just never know, and the only way to measure your stuff is take it apart again u need to calculate compression even if u just leave your stuff in bike, stock flattops stock heads with reaper cam if I'm guessing right at stock numbers and I could be off head cc 85 flattop piston -1.5 no idea says stock gasket .045 puts that cam at a guessed calculate compression of 182 and I could be off by 10 either way there is other little things deck height. inner id of gasket. not even sure what the design compression for that cam is ,, while I may understand how all this effects stuff I just don't have enough experience with the combination of parts to tell u for sure if even the cams will work better than your 255

Last edited by 2009blackpearle; 03-08-2018 at 09:09 AM.