Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Think I might of gotten ripped off

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 08:03 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 17,250 Likes on 6,841 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
just re-read the thread and had an after thought with my sport.

on mine, the carb is more or less a restrictor plate. if i would increase mine, it would pull up rpm much quicker than it does, i just need more open road to pull max rpm. i sorta left it that way as a protection to myself. when i drop out third, the speedo is history. i am not saying the carb is the problem because TOOOOO much carb is even worst. the same could be carried over to efi.
Ummm..... What?

The following users liked this post:
jbarr1 (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 08:32 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

what is the power band on that cam? peak numbers don't mean a lot if you never get into the higher rpm's where the power is. Also it seems most cam makers recommend a cam that makes less peak power an more mid range power to get the heavy touring bikes rolling. power to weight is key...as was brought up earlier...if a lighter bike is making less power it will still out run you if it has a better power to weight ratio. You might have a conservative tune as well. do you have the paperwork from his saying what all he did an what he charged? I'd probably take it to a indy with a good rep an show him the paperwork an pay him to inspect the bike an maybe have another dyno tune done. maybe throw some money at getting the heads worked. If those numbers are accurate I don't think it's a bad build but maybe not getting all you can out of it.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:22 PM
martinj
Club Member

Originally Posted by langwilliams
what is the power band on that cam? peak numbers don't mean a lot if you never get into the higher rpm's where the power is. Also it seems most cam makers recommend a cam that makes less peak power an more mid range power to get the heavy touring bikes rolling. power to weight is key...as was brought up earlier...if a lighter bike is making less power it will still out run you if it has a better power to weight ratio. You might have a conservative tune as well. do you have the paperwork from his saying what all he did an what he charged? I'd probably take it to a indy with a good rep an show him the paperwork an pay him to inspect the bike an maybe have another dyno tune done. maybe throw some money at getting the heads worked. If those numbers are accurate I don't think it's a bad build but maybe not getting all you can out of it.
With everything right(and not taking the duals into account), he should be hitting around 125 tq/hp, with 100 lb/ft coming in around 2700 rpm or so. Power is a little to the right side, but he should have no problem taking his two buddy's bikes, given the 110" is not too well built. He would need to keep the revs up, though. With the numbers he stated in the OP, something isn't right.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:38 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

The heads had to have bee set for the .630" lift, springs, valve to valve, collar to seal, chamber volume, etc.
I'd start your exploration in the cam chest, and if we can be of any help, just call, as WE, can get your wheels rolling in the right direction.
Scott

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 06:33 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by davidw221
Hey came up with a lame excuse that my radio wouldn't make any difference, I was naive several years ago!

He also did some wiring work and taped the joints together, had to take things apart, then have them soldiered, this guy is a piece of work.
Given his poor electrical practices, that would more than explain how his shop burned down.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

OP if you're in Indy a couple of hours south of you in Evansville is Sheffer's Performance HD, give Daren a call. If I were in your position I would take it to him and have him evaluate what you have. Tuning is his specialty and he is one of the few people I would trust to do engine work.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:33 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 691 Posts

it is no secrete that a larger carb can add power to a certain point but when you pass the magical number, flow rate will cause fuel drop out since the engine can not take advantage of it. in a round about way very big injectors will lead to extremely short on times and couple this with high frequency, heating issues can arise. injectors must be sized for applied load and capability of the engine.

hd cams are not long winded and drop like a rock so as rpm rise, power drops. the longer you can extend the power band past the peak the more power is applied in the upper range. as i mentioned, if i can pull 500 more rpm with extended or after peak and gain 10 mph on the gear, it will leave the other in the dust. a lot of times, a smaller or less capable machine can kill the larger because of this. also of note, every shift is also a delay. remember the old two speed power glides, great on the track since around 90 mph was a shift point with right gearing. seen them smoke way larger machines who had to shift multiple times.

my sport runs int'l gearing and in order to pull it, the transmission is geared down except for 5th. in stock form it ran 120 mph @ 5400 rpm. now it will turn up to 7500 rpm. i am running n4's but retarded timing so it pushes my power band around 500 rpm up scale at a loss to low end, however, with lower gears reduction, you will never notice it and it still out performs the stock all around. if i can the 40mm and maybe go up to 45mm intake, i can reach redline quicker.

http://www.twistgear.net/page%20html/sportgear.html

numbers are low in the chart as my first is around 60 and second around 90.

Last edited by bustert; 02-12-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:57 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

Sounds to me that you have decent parts that don't play well together. You have a TB, cam, injectors, and exhaust that should do well in the upper rpm area but heads that don't. Compression seems low fro that cam also.

Get it a part and see what is in it. Then you have a choice. Adjust heads/ compression to get the top end of the 9f or change cams to suit the compression and focus on low and mid power. TQ could rise quit a bit. HP will depend if the heads are the choke point.

Can you post the sheet so we can look at the shape of the curve?

Old 02-12-2018, 01:50 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by martinj
If it were my bike it would be something like "please don't hit me again!". Seriously.

Werd.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:04 PM
martinj
Club Member

Deleted--nevermind...

Quick Reply: Think I might of gotten ripped off