Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Think I might of gotten ripped off

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 08:20 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 691 Posts

just because you have displacement and good numbers do not mean you will win. the ride style as was brought out makes a diff just as double clutching or floating gears.

you can take two engines with identical numbers and yet one will smoke the other. many people do not think about AFTER PEAK POWER. if i can pull 500 more rpm than the other, and i can gain 10 mph through the gear then i will leave the dude behind.

do not forget weight ratio.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:57 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,076 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Sounds like there is something more than just leaving 3 or 4 hp and tq on the table because of the exhaust...and that's on the bottom end. If the guy was willing to steal your radio I'll wager the mortgage money he short changed you on some motor work. It's also possible that the tune is bad...only one way to find out. Good luck

Old 02-11-2018, 10:58 AM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

If you do open the cam chest, check and see if the timing marks line up as well.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:11 AM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

You also didn't say what bikes you were outrun by. The streetglide is a heavy bike, if you ran against 2 dyna's or FXST's then we may have found the problem! And just because it's an 88 doesn't mean it isn't hiding something inside that can whip your ***. Apples to apples and such....

Old 02-11-2018, 11:33 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I'm curious... what did the gentleman say when you caught him stealing your radio?

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 02-11-2018, 12:12 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 17,249 Likes on 6,841 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
I'm curious... what did the gentleman say when you caught him stealing your radio?
If it were my bike it would be something like "please don't hit me again!". Seriously.

On another note, lots of good insight on this thread, some not so much so. Some thoughts: Compression is a bit low, tune might not be the best, the duals definitely don't help, though with those cams, I would still expect the peak hp to be better. Heads also a possible issue. My first concern though, since the indy has already demonstrated a degree of dishonesty, I would check the build out and make sure it's what it was advertised to be.

This has all been said before, I'm just reinforcing it....

Last edited by martinj; 02-11-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:12 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Hey came up with a lame excuse that my radio wouldn't make any difference, I was naive several years ago!

He also did some wiring work and taped the joints together, had to take things apart, then have them soldiered, this guy is a piece of work.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:14 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On another note, I have a friend that has an RC components full system he will sell me for $400, it's a 2into1 system, does anyone know the bung size for O2 sensors on a Thundermax?

Old 02-11-2018, 03:48 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow what a scumbag... Yeah you have to get it all checked out then sue his *** or sort him out...

Old 02-11-2018, 07:57 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 691 Posts

just re-read the thread and had an after thought with my sport.

on mine, the carb is more or less a restrictor plate. if i would increase mine, it would pull up rpm much quicker than it does, i just need more open road to pull max rpm. i sorta left it that way as a protection to myself. when i drop out third, the speedo is history. i am not saying the carb is the problem because TOOOOO much carb is even worst. the same could be carried over to efi.

Last edited by bustert; 02-11-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Think I might of gotten ripped off