Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

How to use roller style cams on 03 night train

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 02:18 PM
HardLuck71
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to use roller style cams on 03 night train

I was wondering how would I be able to use newer style roller chain drive cams in my 03 Night Train? I bought the S&S TC3 cam plate & oil pump which is 07-up style with the hydraulic tensioners and want to use 07-up style roller cams instead of the older " silent " style. Can anyone please tell me if I can switch to the newer style and what else I would need to do in order to do so? I would really appreciate any feedback! Thanks in advance!

Old 07-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,971 Likes on 4,163 Posts

Well, you must replace the cams since the link sprocket is part of the inner one. And truly, this is the only true upgrade other than gears. Would think it hardly matters on a 03, however, when the spring tensioners are $150 and last 50K, but whatever you like.

Before you buy, make sure to match all. Not sure if there is still a kit. Best I can tell it is no longer available. Someone said it was aftermarket but I read Harley quit selling to the aftermarket their parts to match with aftermarket cams.

Search Andrews and S&S

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:41 PM
HardLuck71
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Well, you must replace the cams since the link sprocket is part of the inner one. And truly, this is the only true upgrade other than gears. Would think it hardly matters on a 03, however, when the spring tensioners are $150 and last 50K, but whatever you like.

Before you buy, make sure to match all. Not sure if there is still a kit. Best I can tell it is no longer available. Someone said it was aftermarket but I read Harley quit selling to the aftermarket their parts to match with aftermarket cams.

Search Andrews and S&S

I've seen the spring tensioners break apart at 2k miles and seen bike with 15k and barely any ware, so there's no telling and with all the money I'm putting in my bike, I'd just rather use newer style with better oil pump. I know Andrews sells conversion kits with their " N " style conversion cams, but I'm going with S&S 583s and want to use the 07-up style instead of the " silent " style as I've heard how they're not as durable and can also stretch causing timing issues especially with higher compression engines. I know the TC3 cam plate is new style, but thinking that maybe the bearing journal in case is smaller or something than 07-up style.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:38 PM
FLASH1970
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,168 Likes on 1,162 Posts

Cam bearings are different diameters if I remember right. 1" for 07 and up and 3/4" for the TC88 engines. I had to buy a special adapter when I did my cam bearings because the base tool only worked with 96 & 103 engines.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:46 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Any of the late model cams can be modified to work.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:59 PM
HardLuck71
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
Any of the late model cams can be modified to work.

How would I do that? I just purchased S&S 98" bore kit, as I mentioned above I have the hydraulic tensioner set-up and going with Easy Start 583s but wanna use roller style. Curious as to how I would modify them? Thanks

Old 07-10-2017, 04:04 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,971 Likes on 4,163 Posts

It's not the tensioners. It's the link chain. Just make sure if you put money into a conversion, it's roller chain on both tensioners.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,683 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by HardLuck71
How would I do that? I just purchased S&S 98" bore kit, as I mentioned above I have the hydraulic tensioner set-up and going with Easy Start 583s but wanna use roller style. Curious as to how I would modify them? Thanks
As mentioned by others you MUST use a special build cam set. Many of us have them and I would think that S&S has them as well. Your going to have to give them a call to find out for sure. The special part of it means its a '07 and up cam set with the inner cam bearing surface reduced to the'06 and earlier style. You also need the inner and outer chains, gears and tensioners too.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:17 PM
HardLuck71
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
As mentioned by others you MUST use a special build cam set. Many of us have them and I would think that S&S has them as well. Your going to have to give them a call to find out for sure. The special part of it means its a '07 and up cam set with the inner cam bearing surface reduced to the'06 and earlier style. You also need the inner and outer chains, gears and tensioners too.

I spoke with them and the guy i was chatting with said that they don't have those style cams, which is disappointing cause you would think they would carry them if Andrews, Feuling etc carry them. I already have their TC3 plate, pump & tensioners and I really wanted to go with the 583s. Is there a replacement " silent " style chain I can purchase that is more durable and will hold up better than the stock? If not, looks like my only other alternative would be to go with gear drive.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Dennis Lett
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

S&S doesn't carry conversion cams. Only Andrews makes them, but they distribute to other brands like Feeling, Wood's, etc. In order to use the conversion cams, it requires an 07 and up cam plate. The TC3 plate will not work.

Quick Reply: How to use roller style cams on 03 night train