Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Engine noise after S&S110 Bolt in kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 09:07 AM
KDUBYA
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine noise after S&S110 Bolt in kit

I installed the S&S 4" bolt-in sidewinder cylinder and piston kit, fired it up and have a noise in the front cylinder. Thought at first it was valve noise so I checked the pushrod adjustment but still had the noise. Then I thought it may be an exhaust leak so I changed the gasket. The noise is still there. The noise sounds much like the noise in this video -
- which I think the guy thinks is a bad lifter? I checked my lifters and found some minor scoring on one of the rollers and one cam lobe. wondering if this could be my noise? Two years ago I did a 103 upgrade on this engine so the cams (Andrews 57) and the tappets (S&S rollers) are that old with about 17.000 miles on them and I didn't have this noise in the 103.....

Old 05-07-2017, 09:18 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

I don't have an answer but the noise sounds like a compression release that is stuck open. So, I go along with the "air leak" diagnosis.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:43 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

are the pushrods adjustable or solid?

20K inspect replace on lifters, yes?

you added se110 heads?

Last edited by cvaria; 05-07-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:16 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Sounds like a pushrod rubbing inside a tube. Drop the tubes down one at a time, hold away from the pushrod, start the engine & see if the noise goes away. Some oil may drip down, not a lot. If that's the problem you can drill out the last 1" or so of the tubes to 5/8".

Good luck

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 05-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,954 Likes on 4,032 Posts

Are you sure that you have the rocker box base gaskets in place correctly? It sounds a lot like air breathing in an out from the motor.. You should notice oil soon tho it you run it for any period of time.

BTW. I do wonder about what people claim about push rod rubbing noise. It might make some small rattly sound but I've taken apart motors that have had the rub marks and have the motors have been pretty quiet. Might need to be coupled with a wobbly pushrod?

Old 05-07-2017, 11:35 AM
KDUBYA
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
I don't have an answer but the noise sounds like a compression release that is stuck open. So, I go along with the "air leak" diagnosis.
Interesting that you brought up compression releases. I never had them before now and I didn't plug them in because I can't get into the tuner to enable them. Are they normally open or closed? If they're normally open wouldn't I be hearing noise in both cylinders?

Old 05-07-2017, 11:38 AM
KDUBYA
Tourer

Originally Posted by cvaria
are the pushrods adjustable or solid?

20K inspect replace on lifters, yes?

you added se110 heads?
The pushrods are adjustable. The cams and lifters have 17,000 miles on them. I put them in 2 years ago when I did went from 96 to 103"

The heads are off a 2015 103" StreetGlide. I had them worked up at a Head Shop

Old 05-07-2017, 11:42 AM
KDUBYA
Tourer

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Are you sure that you have the rocker box base gaskets in place correctly? It sounds a lot like air breathing in an out from the motor.. You should notice oil soon tho it you run it for any period of time.

BTW. I do wonder about what people claim about push rod rubbing noise. It might make some small rattly sound but I've taken apart motors that have had the rub marks and have the motors have been pretty quiet. Might need to be coupled with a wobbly pushrod?
I have run it 70 miles.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by KDUBYA
I have run it 70 miles.
Well, I could be wrong. Maybe it is severe pushrod rubbing.. Could it simply be the intake making the noise?

It does sound like a crankcase leak.. Could it be coming out the intake? I guess you could try pulling the covers off the breather bolts and disconnect the breather lines.. Maybe one is pinched?

Add. Is it possible that one of the breather valves is in backwards.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:02 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

I was wrong about rate of the squeak.. It's happening every 2 revolutions so it could be something like a head gasket leak... You need too get a stethoscope and poke around.. I'd wonder if it's a stuck tappet roller..

Found a viewer to look at the audio part of the video. You can convert the video to an audio file and download it to look at the sound as you would with a oscilloscope.

http://www.sigview.com/download.htm

It's only good for 21 days, then you got to pay them money.

The period between squeaks is about 0.112 seconds which works out to about 535 squeaks per minute. About 1/2 the idle speed.

Where the line gets fuzzy, you hear the squeak..

Closeup of the squeak..

Quick Reply: Engine noise after S&S110 Bolt in kit