Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

S&S data and reviews for engines and kits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:06 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts
Default S&S data and reviews for engines and kits?

I asked this in dyna forum and there were crickets....

i got a disconcerting response from Mattva. And thats good info to have and exactly what im looking for. So here goes....

Bike is a 2012 103 wide glide.

i'm pretty sure that the wrinkle 4" sidewinder 110 kit or 110 power pack is what i want to go with but i can't find a single review or happy face.
any links, warning, or ... etc?

http://www.easternperformance.com/ss...am-silver.html

or

https://www.sscycle.com/products/110...wrinkle-black/

Old 04-17-2017, 12:04 PM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

What is your current configuration? A cam and a great tune might be all you need. Either way I would add heads to that package if it were me.

Last edited by 2013_FLHTK; 04-17-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:49 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Stock 103

Old 04-17-2017, 01:06 PM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
Stock 103
My stage 1 103 is currently in the shop getting a cam and re-tuned.

I walked in ready to do barrels, heads and a cam. Walked out convinced that a cam only would provide me with the power I'm looking for and that fits my riding style.

What are your goals?
What is your budget?
Are you doing the work yourself?
Do you have a shop in your area that can provide you with a great tune?
If so what are their recommendations?

Old 04-17-2017, 03:05 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

S&S can screw up just like any other vendor; you pay your money and take your chances with any vendor. As far as buying a crate motor, I would always opt to have a motor built by an outfit like our forum sponsors, i.e., Scott/Hillside Cycles or Kirby/VeeTwin Performance but should I decide to go the crate motor route, I would pay my money and take my chances with S&S.

I would bet that a 110" drop in kit, either the HD or the S&S kit with the right cams and headwork will provide all the power the OP needs.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:27 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-and-kits.html

OP-
Your post specifically asked for 110" S&S kit experience, good or bad-Right?

A poster posted his experience with something totally unrelated to the new S&S 110" kits, As they have a completely different cylinder design. Don't know what his point was....other than to bag on S&S parts (although in his signature, he still uses them-WTF)-

Here's what you said-
OP-
"i got a disconcerting response from Mattva. And thats good info to have and exactly what im looking for"

You sure? You got a bad response from him? Nope- He has zero experience with the 110" kits and his post is totally unrelated to this new kit.

From Mattva
"I haven't heard anything bad about the kit(s) but I will throw this out there. After my experience using S&S 106" kit and it not lasting I've decided here on out I'm only going to use cylinders that have miles on them and send them to be bored to fit pistons of my choice by a good machinist. Although this probably doesn't apply to the 110" kits and the thicker liners they use. There isn't a lot of logic behind my decision other than personal experience."

You got Crickets on the Dyna secton? I posted there in your thread.
I have been called alot of things, but a cricket is a new one...
Here is what I said-
ME-
"Hundreds of thousands of cylinders sold thru S&S over the years with no issues. Myself, using them in all kinds of extreme situations for 15 years with zero issues.
Ask a couple top builders on this site who have used S&S cylinders on builds for decades and see what they say.
S&S has been the Harley performance parts leader for over 50 years, so do your homework and make a decision based on all factors...
As far as the power of their kits, S&S is one of the few companies who's dyno sheet numbers on their site are usually actually LOWER than what you might make with the correct pipe and tune. S&S doesn't want customers to be unhappy with their results, if they make hp claims a customer can't achieve, and also due to the dyno software and hardware they use, which runs lower that the traditional Dynojet software numbers."

Old 04-17-2017, 07:55 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by PWMORRIS
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-and-kits.html

OP-
Your post specifically asked for 110" S&S kit experience, good or bad-Right?

A poster posted his experience with something totally unrelated to the new S&S 110" kits, As they have a completely different cylinder design. Don't know what his point was....other than to bag on S&S parts (although in his signature, he still uses them-WTF)-

Here's what you said-
OP-
"i got a disconcerting response from Mattva. And thats good info to have and exactly what im looking for"

You sure? You got a bad response from him? Nope- He has zero experience with the 110" kits and his post is totally unrelated to this new kit.

From Mattva
"I haven't heard anything bad about the kit(s) but I will throw this out there. After my experience using S&S 106" kit and it not lasting I've decided here on out I'm only going to use cylinders that have miles on them and send them to be bored to fit pistons of my choice by a good machinist. Although this probably doesn't apply to the 110" kits and the thicker liners they use. There isn't a lot of logic behind my decision other than personal experience."

You got Crickets on the Dyna secton? I posted there in your thread.
I have been called alot of things, but a cricket is a new one...
Here is what I said-
ME-
"Hundreds of thousands of cylinders sold thru S&S over the years with no issues. Myself, using them in all kinds of extreme situations for 15 years with zero issues.
Ask a couple top builders on this site who have used S&S cylinders on builds for decades and see what they say.
S&S has been the Harley performance parts leader for over 50 years, so do your homework and make a decision based on all factors...
As far as the power of their kits, S&S is one of the few companies who's dyno sheet numbers on their site are usually actually LOWER than what you might make with the correct pipe and tune. S&S doesn't want customers to be unhappy with their results, if they make hp claims a customer can't achieve, and also due to the dyno software and hardware they use, which runs lower that the traditional Dynojet software numbers."

posted this here before you all responded.

i'm looking for real responses, reviews, data, etc.... good and bad. i'm not just looking at the kit per se but, s&s customers and the company itself. me going with the s&s 110 is me trusting s&s, not blind faith in brand.

your response is good and appreciated. you've popped up a few time and dropped knowledge.

up until this point, i've been strickly HD for parts. looking through the hd SE catalog and seeing the the charts vs the cost... doesn't look good vs even an off brand setup. example: the s&s 110cylider kit vs the 27802-08 110 full kit is shameful.

http://www.harley-news.ch/mandant/fi...E_EngnProg.pdf

i'm just looking for more info before committing. i am learning and am at the tail end of my sportster "exploding engine" destruction and want to be into or done the dyna by june. just scouting now

Last edited by cvaria; 04-17-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:11 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

I would go S&S over SE in a heartbeat,we`ve been using S&S parts for 35+ years with no problems.if your on a budget,you may want to look into going 107" using your cylinders,just another option

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (04-20-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 06:13 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

BTW,dont get hung up on dyno charts in ANY catalog

The following users liked this post:
06 Ultra Classic (04-22-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 08:58 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
I would go S&S over SE in a heartbeat,we`ve been using S&S parts for 35+ years with no problems.if your on a budget,you may want to look into going 107" using your cylinders,just another option
no budget to speak of but, not working with unlimited funds either so that's putting a crate out of reach right now. ~$4k is reasonable for this project. I looked at the FM 107 anyway to see where it was. I honestly cant see much of a difference between the s&s 110 and the base 107 +/- 5hp. Looks damn good for the cost honestly though. The tw999-a/cnc version looks nice. Thank you. I hadn't even considered the 107. That kit is a possibility since i already know FM will not leave me high and dry. Good people.

I'm honestly not looking for power, kinda confused about how "all the power OP needs" popped up and i never said anything about what i was looking for. I am actually pretty happy with the bike as is, my i just want to go 110 for the hell of it, and address possible issues in the cam chest. I think the s&s 110 585ge power pack will do that. I know i need to. Check the run out on my pinion to go gear drive, hopefully its not ann issue. I have no idea of how many folks have had their hopes of gear drive dashed by run out. I can't find that info and don't know where to look.

Quick Reply: S&S data and reviews for engines and kits?