Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Couple questions regarding evo rebuild, dyno readings, and v111 specs

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 07:30 PM
enickma
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple questions regarding evo rebuild, dyno readings, and v111 specs

Hello tech heads. I am not a tech head, so I'll try to be brief, yet thorough. I have a 98 Heritage Springer FLSTS with an evo that has had some work. I first put a S&S hot set up in it, and then had some problems with the motor because a place that serviced it forgot to put oil in it. It was torn apart, was bored out and stroked. I don't know all the specs, or what cam is in it. I think it was 10.1:1 compression and 4 5/8 stroked. The guy who rebuilt it has moved, and i can't get in contact with him. It has never really impressed me power wise, but it has started to run noticeably sluggish, especially from a stop, and anything over 70 mph seems like it's pushing it, so I got it dyno'd yesterday. It has nearly 98lbs of torque, but only 71 HP. I don't know what stock EVO specs are, but I do know these numbers aren't ideal. Especially for what's been done to it. I don't ride it hard, nor go on 2 week trips. Usually 100+/- mile rides on weekends. I live on the coast, so stop lights and traffic are often in play along the beach. I'm not looking to wheelie off the line, but man I want to feel some power and responsiveness from the throttle, and not always have to play catch up to my buddies bikes. My new mechanic says it isn't set up right at all, and he's going to go through it. I'll let you know what he thinks, but I'd like to hear from any of you on this. If it's at 98 torque, what kind of HP should I be looking for properly set up? In reading over posts, it seems torque plays a larger role than HP in giddy up and go power off the line? That's what I'm really after, I'm not really interested in going 120. My 2nd question is does anyone know what are the unmodified specs of the s&s v111? I've read some good things about this motor, but I don't know what kind of power it has compared to what I have, or could have. I don't want to drop 5+ grand if it's going to cause more parts upgrades, or doesn't give me a kick in the *** grin. Any advice and tips greatly appreciated. I've tried posting a photo of the dyno chart from both my phone and computer, but it says the photo resolution is too high.

p.s. I have the stock dual fishtail pipes that came on the bike. I think they are Samsons. I know that a 2 into 1 will improve performance, but I love the look of these. Maybe there's modifications for pipes as well? I'm open to all suggestions and feedback. Thanks ... Nick

Last edited by enickma; 12-20-2016 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Error on specs
Old 12-16-2016, 10:28 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Happy to help if we can.
Scott

Old 12-18-2016, 02:07 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,865 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

I have an S&S 107", which the 111" replaces, with the same cam and similar CR. They give similar performance, in my case just over 100HP/100TQ. Talk to Scott above, as he can get you close to those numbers with your current engine and I doubt if it will cost you as much as a new S&S!

A well built engine will give similar numbers for both HP and TQ, however it is not unusual for HP to be a bit lower, depends on the cam and no doubt other things.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:30 AM
enickma
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have an S&amp;S 107", which the 111" replaces, with the same cam and similar CR. They give similar performance, in my case just over 100HP/100TQ. Talk to Scott above, as he can get you close to those numbers with your current engine and I doubt if it will cost you as much as a new S&amp;S!<br /><br />A well built engine will give similar numbers for both HP and TQ, however it is not unusual for HP to be a bit lower, depends on the cam and no doubt other things.
<br /><br />

Thanks for the reply. Okay, I have some updates. It's built up to 89", and has as s&amp;s 561 cam in it. The carb hasn't been cleaned since I don't know when, so all the jets and little side holes are probably clogged like arteriosclerosis. My stock dual fishtail Samsons aren't the best for performance, but I absolutely love the look. It just goes with the bike. Any tricks for pipes to increase performance? Is there a 2 into 1 kit for duals or?

Old 12-19-2016, 04:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,865 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

I agree with the look of fishtails, had them for many years myself, including later on with true duals. Mine were H-D SE, not Samson. When I installed my S&S I continued with the TDs and had the bike dyno tuned. Over time the TDs gave me problems and I swapped the system for a SuperTrapp Supermegs 2-into-1 and had the bike tuned by the same shop and operator.

Headline numbers for both systems were very close, just a couple of HP different, a few TQ in favour of the SuperTrapp. The major difference was in the shape of the torque curve, with the SuperTrapp giving significantly more TQ in the low/mid range. The unexpected surprise is how much smoother running the engine is! While the extra TQ is great, the improved ride quality is wonderful. I'm sure there are systems that may give a bit more performance still, however my SuperTrapp is nirvana IMHO!

Prior to my S&S engine I had a stroker kit in the original engine - performance can get addictive! If you decide on a 111" Scott can do wonders with that.....

Old 12-19-2016, 06:08 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,398 Likes on 3,611 Posts

Absolutely get rid of the pipes and go to a 2-1.Need to know other factors here. What carb, ignition and cylinder heads do you have on this motor? A stroker Evo can be real fast and that cam should get you way past 71 hp. I think the heads are the problem here. Hell out of my well built 83" Evo I was putting out 96/97 and grabbing rubber in third gear.... You definitely have some kind of restriction going on there. Stage II heads from Hillside will cure that problem....

And by the way I think you'd be wasting your money getting a 111, you'll still need to build it to get it to move....

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 12-19-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:29 PM
enickma
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by grbrown
I agree with the look of fishtails, had them for many years myself, including later on with true duals. Mine were H-D SE, not Samson. When I installed my S&S I continued with the TDs and had the bike dyno tuned. Over time the TDs gave me problems and I swapped the system for a SuperTrapp Supermegs 2-into-1 and had the bike tuned by the same shop and operator.

Headline numbers for both systems were very close, just a couple of HP different, a few TQ in favour of the SuperTrapp. The major difference was in the shape of the torque curve, with the SuperTrapp giving significantly more TQ in the low/mid range. The unexpected surprise is how much smoother running the engine is! While the extra TQ is great, the improved ride quality is wonderful. I'm sure there are systems that may give a bit more performance still, however my SuperTrapp is nirvana IMHO!

Prior to my S&S engine I had a stroker kit in the original engine - performance can get addictive! If you decide on a 111" Scott can do wonders with that.....
Thanks for the responses. This is the kit I have in mine, so it has solid s&s heads in there. I'm thinking with a fresh carb cleaning overhaul, and some upgraded pipes, I'll be a happy camper. Thanks for the correction on the pipes being HD SE. Wasn't sure on the make, just knew they were the original stock. I'm going to look into true duals, because while 2 into 1's look great on some bikes, it would be a real eyesore on mine. Suggestions on good brands, and who to steer away from? Thanks