Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Screaming Eagle Stage III Valves Rocker

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:26 PM
Blackline1
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screaming Eagle Stage III Valves Rocker

Hey guys, i'll begin by saying sorry for my english i'm french so . Be cool i'm trying my best .

Ok there's the problem . I bought a stage 3 kit from my dealer 2 weeks ago for my 2013 blackline. I did it myself . Everything went good except one thing . The moment comes to torque my rocker on top of the this thing aaannd... it doesn't seat perfectly on the 4 corner ... my piston is at TDC. Ecerything is torqued as it supposed to be.

My question is : Is the lifters hydraulics ?? And when I torque the rocker, do I need to wait the oil exit the lifters before trying to " roll freely" -> ( i dont know how to say that) the pushrod ?? Please notice that my cams are changed and I got fixed + 0.030" pushrods. Is this supposed to fit in there or I need to shim the rocker plate or buy new lifters ? I need to know that before close this lil badass noise maker .

Thanks !

Old 12-15-2016, 06:58 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Yes, hydraulic lifters. If I understand the situation you can torque down the rocker support plate on the cylinder at TDC. Wait for the lifters to bleed down and you can rotate the pushrods between thumb and fore finger before rotating the crank. When lifters have bled down, rotate crank to move piston on the other cylinder to TDC and repeat. I must assume that the +.030" pushrods are the correct pushrods for your application. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:39 AM
muskwa
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure that the lifters are on the base circle of the cams, and not trying to open a valve.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:20 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by muskwa
Make sure that the lifters are on the base circle of the cams, and not trying to open a valve.
If the OP has pistons at TDC lifters should be on the heel of the cam. Unless the cam chest cover is off, he cannot see the lifters and has to rely on piston location and watching lifters rise/fall in their respective bores.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:31 PM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, but the pistons should be at TDC on the compressin stroke right? So the pushrods should be visible in rocker box and should be bot at the lowest point of travel. Could the piston be at TDC on the exhaust stroke, which would mean the exhaust valve is trying to open as he is tightening them down.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:04 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Lunchboxx
Correct me if I am wrong, but the pistons should be at TDC on the compressin stroke right? So the pushrods should be visible in rocker box and should be bot at the lowest point of travel. Could the piston be at TDC on the exhaust stroke, which would mean the exhaust valve is trying to open as he is tightening them down.
You are not wrong but positioning the piston at TDC on the compression stroke has application with adjustable pushrods.

The OP is positioning the piston at TDC before installing the push rods, or at least that was the way I read the OP. The heads have been installed and piston on one cylinder set at TDC He has dropped the +.030" pushrods in from the top and tightening down the rocker support plate. In doing so, he has noticed that the plate will not bolt down flat against the rocker box because the lifters and pushrods are holding the plate up. The OP can tighten the rocker support plate down forcing the lifters to bleed down, same as one would with a set of adjustable pushrods. Positioning the piston at TDC on the compression stroke is important, IMHO, when adjusting adjustable pushrod but it doesn't matter with fixed length pushrods because they are going to be wherever they will be in the intake/compression/power/exhaust stroke cycle when the piston is at TDC on the compression or the exhaust stroke. Actually, with the fixed length pushrods, the OP can pull the rocker support plate down with the piston at any position in the four stroke cycle with fixed length pushrods; just easier to do with both valves closed.

This of course assumes a typical cam profile and that the longer +.030" pushrods are correct for the application.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:16 PM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackline1
Hey guys, i'll begin by saying sorry for my english i'm french so . Be cool i'm trying my best .

Ok there's the problem . I bought a stage 3 kit from my dealer 2 weeks ago for my 2013 blackline. I did it myself . Everything went good except one thing . The moment comes to torque my rocker on top of the this thing aaannd... it doesn't seat perfectly on the 4 corner ... my piston is at TDC. Ecerything is torqued as it supposed to be.

My question is : Is the lifters hydraulics ?? And when I torque the rocker, do I need to wait the oil exit the lifters before trying to " roll freely" -> ( i dont know how to say that) the pushrod ?? Please notice that my cams are changed and I got fixed + 0.030" pushrods. Is this supposed to fit in there or I need to shim the rocker plate or buy new lifters ? I need to know that before close this lil badass noise maker .

Thanks !
What cams did you install?