Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Weird oscilating noise, halp

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 02:34 AM
Lambda
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Weird oscilating noise, halp

Hello guys.

I'm having trouble chasing down a not-so-good sound coming out from my twincam, you can find the details of my build at mi sig, bike have 40.000km / 24854 miles.

For a while now, i've been hearing a weird oscilating sound coming out from my engine, the sound doesn't come up always, and usually goes out when revving up the engine (either it goes, or i don't hear it because of the exhaust).

Most of the times you can hear it at stop lights, but not always, 3 out 5 times, you stop at a light, and you hear it, the other two you just hear the normal engine noises.

If i had to explain the noise it would be something like this.

Tac tac tac tac tac ..silence... tac tac tac tac tac .. silence ... tac tac tac tac ..etc

The frequency increases if I rev the bike, so its something related with RPM/vibration.

I have a guess that my primary inner bearing is shot since i changed my fluids a few days ago and the primary plug was full of metal bits, however, that noise doesn't seems to come from the primary but from the engine.

I've removed the rocker covers just to see that everything was tight, and it was, so I dont know.

When i can hear the noise with more detail it is always one of those two times when the engine doesn't make it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2016, 08:12 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

There is a forum post about Rocker noise. The guy did same thing and removed the rocker covers and they seemed to be fine. Then he went further and removed the rockers and found that the rockers were also rotating the shaft they are on and it was making the noise. He and another gentlemen designed what they call Rocker Lockers. Easy and inexpensive way to eliminate the problem. The forum was called Rocker Lockers I do believe.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Lambda
Cruiser

Originally Posted by silveradoman2
There is a forum post about Rocker noise. The guy did same thing and removed the rocker covers and they seemed to be fine. Then he went further and removed the rockers and found that the rockers were also rotating the shaft they are on and it was making the noise. He and another gentlemen designed what they call Rocker Lockers. Easy and inexpensive way to eliminate the problem. The forum was called Rocker Lockers I do believe.
Thanks for the answer but I already have the rocker lockers installed, for the life of me I can't figure out what is the noise, I always hear it when im on the road on a place where i can't stop lol.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:37 AM
Lambda
Cruiser

Quick update, after checking a lot of things I decided to drain the oil and take a look both at the oil and the drain plug to see if anything inside of the engine was being destroyed.

Plug looked fine, usual build up of metal debris (nothing out of the ordinary) .. however when I drained the oill less than 1 Liter/1 Quart came out, i was like WTF because I checked the oils like a week ago and this engine rarely burns any oil at all.

I refilled the engine with new brand oil and the sound is now gone, however, something that i've felt for the past weeks still happens, the engine feels sluggish on slow speed, it feels just like if one cylinder was putting more power than the other making the engine very unstable, when going higher in the RPMs it doesn't happen at all, the engine gets smooth as always.

I also feel that the bike lost some power.. could this be a symptom of sumping? I haven't seen alot of sumping cases on Dynas but maybe the scavenge o-ring is leaking and the oil is going to the crankcase, making the engine lose some of its power, who knows.

I'll also inspect the oil pump for damage, i've been feeling a bit of vibration and something tells me that the crank is going out hopefully i'm wrong on this one.

There's a chance that actually there's nothing wrong and I'm just being a hell of a paranoid, right now I'm not very financially-stable and a twisted crank is something that I can't afford right now, and the bike is my only vehicle atm.

Last edited by Lambda; 09-17-2016 at 09:41 AM.