Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

electronic ignition timing

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:28 PM
theterribleone_vdc
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default electronic ignition timing

Having trouble with a 1980 FXWG. Is there another way to do the timing without using a light? Any tricks? I'm having a hard time keeping my bike at 2k rpm with no tach. My light reads rpms, but only when in that mode. Have to take it out of that mode to do the timing. I've considered just putting points in, but I'd like to not spend money and utilize what I currently have. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:26 PM
Wv7o
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Used to set timing by adjusting so the engine starts easily. Once you find that point, while engine is idling adjust timing one direction and you will hear and feel the engine bog down (Timing retarded) now adjust the other way until the engine smooths out (Advanced timing) if you keep keep going the engine will bog down again.

You have now found the range that the timing needs to be within to start and run your engine.

Now once again adjust timing within that range to the spot the engine starts the easiest, then advance the timing just a hair. Test ride and make sure the engine does not ping, knock or struggle to accelerate.

The carb may need to be adjusted slightly (air fuel and timing) adjust all 3 to optimize everything or for your needs.

When done your engine should fire up easily and accelerate without pinging or knocking.

Be sure to ride the bike between adjustments.

If not right, adjust timing a little more and go for a ride, keep it up until you are satisfied.

If you do not know how to adjust a carb (if needed) I am sure one of your buddies can help and you will get things situated

Anyways that's what we used to do back in the day and It seemed to work, hope it helps.

Last edited by Wv7o; 08-18-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:07 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Good advice.
I'll add, that once you find the "sweet spot", keep bumping it ahead until you just start to hear spark knock, then pull it back until gone.
About as good as you'll find, unless dyno tuned.
Scott

Old 08-19-2016, 06:37 AM
theterribleone_vdc
Cruiser

Thanks for the advice Wv7o. I've heard of this method before, but in about no more than 4 words. You've explained it the best by far and it makes sense to me. I can't wait to give it a shot.

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Good advice.
I'll add, that once you find the "sweet spot", keep bumping it ahead until you just start to hear spark knock, then pull it back until gone.
About as good as you'll find, unless dyno tuned.
Scott
I've located the "sweet spot" already. I can get the bike to kick over with little issue, idle very well and also accelerate very well while at a stand still. I haven't taken it on the road yet since rebuild with timing off in fear of causing damage. Advance till I hear ping, but do you mean at load or when idling? I feel like the motor wont ping at idle. Appreciate the advice.

Also, while attempting with the light a couple times with motor running at roughly 2k, my front exhaust at the first bend was turning bright red. I was immediately shutting it off when I saw this happen the couple times. My oil temp never exceeded 190. Could this be from timing as well? Running at a higher rpm while stationary in hot outside temps and no wind to cool the motor? My pushrod adjustment is per the manual, so I don't think it's that.

Last edited by theterribleone_vdc; 08-19-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:15 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Full operating temps and under load.
Scott

Old 08-19-2016, 07:39 AM
theterribleone_vdc
Cruiser

Copy. Thank you.