Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

95 cu in Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 08:22 AM
Matt Glass
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 cu in Upgrade Questions

I have an 2003 Ultra Classic I purchased last summer with 78,000 miles on it, I just hit 90,000 last week and am thinking about a top end rebuild this winter. This got me to thinking though that while I have it apart I may as well do some upgrades, meaning going from stock 88cu in?to a 95 cu in.

This brings me to my questions

What other than cylinders, pistons, cams do I need?

What does the process of "porting" my heads involve, or should I replace those as well?

Being fuel injected what issues and costs roughly will I be looking at to get it tuned again once the work is done?

Apologies if these seem like simple things to answer but other than basic maintenance I've never done something like this and plan to do all the wrenching myself. If I think of anything else I'll add it

Old 07-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Your 2003 cylinder head castings had a very constricted exhaust port to hold heat in the engine.(EPA)
Porting work, here, even at our Stage I level, includes new valves.
Several proven options here, to boost the fun factor in that bike.
Scott

Old 07-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Matt Glass
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Your 2003 cylinder head castings had a very constricted exhaust port to hold heat in the engine.(EPA)
Porting work, here, even at our Stage I level, includes new valves.
Several proven options here, to boost the fun factor in that bike.
Scott
Definitely intend to replace the valves while I'm in there, much easier to do all that while it's torn apart than to have to go back later and do it. Especially considering I have little to no history on the bike prior to buying it.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:29 PM
Matt Glass
6th Gear

Looked at the S&S 95cu in hotsetup on Jpcycle.com today, comes complete with cams, heads, pistons, gaskets,etc. Curious about the gear driven cams though (doesn't come with a chain driven option) as to if it is worth it after spending $3,000 on the kit and potentially having to spend another $1,000 to true the crank should it be out of tolerance.

Does anyone have other suggestions for kits or a list of suggested parts to piece together into a kit of my own? And would the cost of having my heads ported (rather than going with the heads in the kit on jp) myself at a local shop end up cheaper in the long run?

Here is the link to the kit.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/420-276

Last edited by Matt Glass; 07-21-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:21 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

First thing you should do is write down your riding style. (Long trips, bar hopping, drag racing, all of the above, etc.)

Second thing is how long do you plan on keeping the motorcycle? Couple of years, not worth putting money into but last Harley you plan on owning, sky is the limit.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:56 AM
Matt Glass
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Next In Line
First thing you should do is write down your riding style. (Long trips, bar hopping, drag racing, all of the above, etc.)

Second thing is how long do you plan on keeping the motorcycle? Couple of years, not worth putting money into but last Harley you plan on owning, sky is the limit.
I'm in a club so we ride long and hard.

And intend to keep the bike for awhile hence why I'm wanting to do the work in the first place.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:06 AM
dsvracer
Intermediate
Default more power

Matt,
making good power is not all that difficult. Simple way of putting it is the heads make the power and it is the cam that dictates where in the rpm range the power will be. As mentioned before you need to think about where you want most of your power, top, middle, or bottom end. doesn't make sense to build a motor to have power in an area that you do not drive. I would suggest you work with some one that has experience in doing this type of work and that you are comfortable with their ideas on how to achieve what you want. you'll need to talk to the porter and the motor builder to get all the info you need for this project. do not be afraid to ask questions. a dumb question is often cheaper than a dumb mistake. good luck dsv

Old 07-22-2016, 09:41 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

bore your cylinders to 98" (3.935"),1.900/1.615 headwork flowing in the 260@28" area with a cam that will match your riding style will give 110+/115+ even on a milder build

Old 07-22-2016, 09:59 AM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Just curious with replacing and machining everything except the case on your 88 why not just go buy a new engine a 103+?

Old 07-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Matt Glass
6th Gear

Originally Posted by eichacsj
Just curious with replacing and machining everything except the case on your 88 why not just go buy a new engine a 103+?

That has been a thought which is why I'm trying to figure out what it'll cost to have the work done vs. A whole new engine. Either way it may end up being to costly for me right now. Starting to thinkick about just a stock rebuild with a new set of cams.

Quick Reply: 95 cu in Upgrade Questions