Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

bike wont stay running after wash

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 06:54 PM
HDKyle
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default bike wont stay running after wash

ok fellas, I have searched and searched and looked all over the bike but can't find my problem.

Today I changed the oil, rolled her out of the garage for a bath, dried her off, went to start it and it wouldn't start. After three tries she fired up but won't stay running. It runs fine for about 8-10 seconds and then starts idling a little rough, almost like it isn't getting fuel, then runs smooth for a few seconds and then dies and coughs out of the air cleaner. What specifically could get wet that would cause this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have washed this bike many times and never had a problem.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:53 PM
13FXDWG
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I've seen newbie detailers pressure wash engine bays and I always scolded them, for the fuse box under the hood in new fords can allow water in, and in said fuse box is a bus bar. If the water freezes bus bar cracks. I've replaced a few entire engine harnesses in pickups for that reason. However this isn't cold weather to freeze. Coughing out the intake usually means out of time, Or it isn't firing could a coil have been saturated and grounded out? Seen that happen with 4.0 rangers with the remote coil pack get washed under the hood not start,take the connector off find it full of moisture, remove the coil pack and let it dry blow the connector out pack it with dielectric grease plug it back in fires up lives another day.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:18 PM
HDKyle
Cruiser

I appreciate your response. I checked all the electronic connections that I could. I blew them all out but they all seemed dry and not to be the problem. As I was sitting in my living room I realized that I never checked the air cleaner element. It's exposed and I am assuming it could have gotten wet even with the water sock on it. which explains why it started running longer before dying after I let it sit for an hour. If the filter was wet and wasn't letting in enough air to feed the engine it could act the way it was I believe. I don't know why I didn't check that. Simply taking it off would have answered my question. I was just focused on the electric components scared I screwed something up. I will post back tomorrow afternoon. Can't start the bike up now and check, garage is right under the daughters bedroom and she is asleep.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:55 PM
13FXDWG
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,094 Posts

That could do it, take the filter out run a fan/blow dryer on it. The 6.7 diesels have an air filter mounted in a really lovely spot that would allow snow to pack in clog the filters up then once they would thaw cause the air filter to implode and wipe out the turbo once they started to come apart.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:45 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,087 Posts

You failed to mention the year and model of the bike that you're referring to? A wet air cleaner filter element won't keep the bike from starting and running. There's something else that's gotten wet. Let her dry out for a day or two and fire her up again .

Old 06-06-2016, 04:57 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

If it's an FI bike I'd start with the throttle body plug.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:55 AM
HDKyle
Cruiser

Sorry fellas, 2002 softail deuce EFI. I have checked the plugs under the tank but I will go back and double check. I won't get to it until this evening so it will have time to dry a little

Old 06-10-2016, 09:21 PM
HDKyle
Cruiser

Update: and not a good one. I have tested spark, spark is good. Checked fuel pump, works fine. replaced fuel filter. Replaced fuel line from tank to fuel rail. took throttle body and fuel injectors off, checked connections and blew them out lightly with air. put back together. drained tank and put new fuel in. Tried the TSSM reset three times. Nothing has remedied my problem. Bike starts fine and runs well for about 5-10 seconds sometimes a little more and then tries to die and coughs out the air cleaner and then eventually dies coughing out the air cleaner. I am not getting any warning lights on my dash. check engine light and security light goes out a few seconds after ignition is turned on like it should. fuel pump cycles as it should. I am trying to avoid taking it to the dealership. It will be at least $100 just to look at it.

Before I do so is there anything else I should check? I really want to ride and this is pissing me off that I can't figure it out. I even replaced my exhaust gaskets thinking maybe just maybe it could be an exhaust leak. I'm lost.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:09 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Check the throttle position sensor. I'll bet a dollar that's your problem. They wear out over the years because every time you twist the throttle the position sensor works in correspondence.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:28 PM
HDKyle
Cruiser

I will give it a whirl

Quick Reply: bike wont stay running after wash