Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Cam plate differences

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 06:08 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,220 Likes on 3,753 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Both ends of the TC cams are supported; inner bearings in the motor case and outer bearings in the cam plate. Maybe I am misunderstanding but it seems that you want to say that the TC cams have no outboard support which just isn't so. Not being argumentative, just don't understand.
Your gears are hanging off the end of the camshaft. The outer bearing is on the inner side of the gear. He's referring to a bearing on the end of the camshaft, outer side of the gear...

Old 05-21-2016, 06:15 PM
tcarson84
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also wasn't sure what you mean about gears on the 99 they will work with cam sensors check out post in dyna section that is titled "early twin cam issues" or something like that

Old 05-21-2016, 06:48 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,004 Likes on 4,195 Posts

Originally Posted by tcarson84
Also wasn't sure what you mean about gears on the 99 they will work with cam sensors check out post in dyna section that is titled "early twin cam issues" or something like that
Went on the Andrews site. There is a note that you can now run gears on both cams. They must have modified their cam to work now by making it fit your end plate for the sensor. Last time we went thru this, that was not the case. Make sure you check the run out on the cam in the cam plate per the PDF instruction sheet before ordering the kit. Your older bike is probably fine but I would check it.

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites...-1999-2006.pdf

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-21-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:02 PM
tcarson84
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well although I would like to do gear drive I'm still not sure after hearing from Scott at hillside cycles that the cyco tensioners last longer I think that is the direction I will go because of funds I haven't ordered anything yet but don't want to stretch my finances too thin. I don't plan on keeping the bike forever so I think the cyco will get me thru the next couple years til trade in

Old 05-21-2016, 08:36 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
My though was the EVO big twin and Sporty had a bearing on the gear side for the cam driven by the crankshaft and it was supported in the cover. That is what I mean my outboard side bearing. You are correct that the cams are supported both ends. It's when you go gear drive that the gear on the cam driven by the crank does not have an outboard bearing but depends on the inboard bearing.

Not exactly sure what tcarson is going to do but if he goes gear, think the outer must remain chain with the cam sensor. In my opinion, his tensioners at 17 years need to be changed regardless of mile do to heat making delrin hard.
OK, the light bulb went on! I lost the Evo compare somewhere in the chain; my bad, sorry for being so dense....

I don't know what tcarson will do; sounds like he is headed down the CYCO trail which will work for him. Agree completely on the delrin material; never should have been in the cam chest.

As for gears in '99s, not sure why chains must be run on the outside. IIRC, the rear gear has a raised sensor boss for the CPS and if that doesn't work all that is required is to replace the ignition with a later OEM unit or something like the DTT unit. Plenty of '99s running gear drive cams.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:18 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
IIRC, the rear gear has a raised sensor boss for the CPS and if that doesn't work all that is required is to replace the ignition with a later OEM unit or something like the DTT unit. Plenty of '99s running gear drive cams.
Another thought is what you refer to as the rear gear for the cam position sensor, I refer to as the front gear. To me, the front gear is the one you see when you pull off the cam case cover.
Also, on the 1999, that cam sensor is not controlling the ignition. It's just a check for a trouble light and code. Harley realized they did not need it and it was only ran one year. 1999 has a crank position sensor.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-22-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:10 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Another thought is what you refer to as the rear gear for the cam position sensor, I refer to as the front gear. To me, the front gear is the one you see when you pull off the cam case cover. Also, on the 1999, that cam sensor is not controlling the ignition. It's just a check for a trouble light and code. Harley realized they did not need it and it was only ran one year. 1999 has a crank position sensor.
I understand that the '99 models and even some '00 models had the cam position sensor in the cam cover which required a trigger to activate. Rear gear, my term, is the driven reduction gear that turns the rear camshaft and that gear has a raised sensor boss on it for timing the cam position sensor. I believe this change was a running change, not sure, but was gone, like you say, when the MoCo realized they did not need the cam position sensor. The OEM setup has a metal cup with a window that rotates on the end of the rear cam shaft and when this window passes the cam position sensor an electrical pulse is generated back to the ECM. This tells the ECM the position of the camshaft as well as the position of every valve relative to their seats. It also confirms piston location and the degrees of flywheel rotation, since every moving engine component is timed to the others. The later gears do not have the raised sensor boss and if installed in a motor with the cam position sensor in the cam cover, the motor will not run properly; may not run at all.So, if tcarson was going to run gear drive cams, he just needs to be sure to get the correct gear set.

However, alternatively, a motor with the cam position sensor in the cam cover will run with a later gear without the raised sensor boss if the later ignition module is installed as the later ignition does not require a signal from the cam position sensor to run properly.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:46 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
I understand that the '99 models and even some '00 models had the cam position sensor in the cam cover which required a trigger to activate. Rear gear, my term, is the driven reduction gear that turns the rear camshaft and that gear has a raised sensor boss on it for timing the cam position sensor. I believe this change was a running change, not sure, but was gone, like you say, when the MoCo realized they did not need the cam position sensor. The OEM setup has a metal cup with a window that rotates on the end of the rear cam shaft and when this window passes the cam position sensor an electrical pulse is generated back to the ECM. This tells the ECM the position of the camshaft as well as the position of every valve relative to their seats. It also confirms piston location and the degrees of flywheel rotation, since every moving engine component is timed to the others. The later gears do not have the raised sensor boss and if installed in a motor with the cam position sensor in the cam cover, the motor will not run properly; may not run at all.So, if tcarson was going to run gear drive cams, he just needs to be sure to get the correct gear set.

However, alternatively, a motor with the cam position sensor in the cam cover will run with a later gear without the raised sensor boss if the later ignition module is installed as the later ignition does not require a signal from the cam position sensor to run properly.
It appears Anderson and S&S have now incorporated it into their product. See post 57
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post15169296

Old 05-22-2016, 11:13 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

It appears Anderson and S&S have now incorporated it into their product. See post 57
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post15169296
Yes, they did, a long time back. However there are two rear cam gears available from Andrews; one with the trigger ring and one without. So, again, all I am saying is that if tcarson should decide to go with gear driven cams, he needs to get the correct gear set.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:52 PM
Jackpot Johnnie
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

I used one of the Andrews rear cam chain sprockets (288015) on my 99 when I changed out the stock keyed cam for S&S splined camshaft. Since I was still using the stock crank chain sprocket I thought it would take me a week of trial and error to get the cam sprocket shimmed right. The Andrews sprocket came with 3 shims and did not require a spacer behind the cam. Worked out great. Didn't have to buy any extra parts.

Quick Reply: Cam plate differences