Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

103HO High flow stock air cleaner. Switch to another without tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:40 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts
Default 103HO High flow stock air cleaner. Switch to another without tune?

So got a new 2016 Fatboy. With it having the 103HO and high flow air cleaner from the factory if i want to switch to another air cleaner like the Screaming eagle heavy breather elite or even a round style like inverted like what Arlen Ness sells so i have to retune? Or is it already tunes for high flow from the factory since it has the HO?

Old 04-19-2016, 08:04 AM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

You will not need a re-tune if your switch air intakes. You might however want to get one if and when you change out exhaust. The air will only flow as fast as it's most limiting part of the system and from the factory that is definitely the exhaust and cam.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:11 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,092 Likes on 3,647 Posts

Hi flo is hi flo.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:14 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by kishstl
You will not need a re-tune if your switch air intakes. You might however want to get one if and when you change out exhaust. The air will only flow as fast as it's most limiting part of the system and from the factory that is definitely the exhaust and cam.
What about air cleaner +slip ons? And if i go full exhaust whats the best canned tuner out of like the DYNO MAX, V&H fuel pack, Power commander ect ect... For at home install. When i had my Night train i took it to Harley and added V&H Big shots and they tunes it. Wasnt really happy with the out come. A lot of decel popping and black smoke from the exhaust. Definitely ran rich. With all my other Harley i just did slip ons. Id like to do more this time around.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:25 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,092 Likes on 3,647 Posts

www.fuelmotousa.com they will pre load a tune for you based on what you install. You've been here for a while....are you just jerking our chain? Lol

Last edited by Notgrownup; 04-19-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:40 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
www.fuelmotousa.com they will pre load a tune for you based on what you install. You've been here for a while....are you just jerking our chain? Lol
No im not jerking your chain. Lol... I know new products come out all the time opinions change and Harley's are coming out of the factory now with HO engines and high flow air cleaners. So things have changed a little and i always just like to hear different opinions on new products and what direction people are going with there bikes. Obviously i know the deal the way Harley's where coming off the lines in the past and what to do. I was really just curious how high flow the new Harley factory air cleaners really are compared to aftermarket. Basically im trying to spend the least amount of money but still have the bike run right and this is my first HO103.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:50 AM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
What about air cleaner +slip ons? And if i go full exhaust whats the best canned tuner out of like the DYNO MAX, V&H fuel pack, Power commander ect ect... For at home install. When i had my Night train i took it to Harley and added V&H Big shots and they tunes it. Wasnt really happy with the out come. A lot of decel popping and black smoke from the exhaust. Definitely ran rich. With all my other Harley i just did slip ons. Id like to do more this time around.
I would definitely decide on what I wanted to do first- exhaust/intake/cam. The tuner depends on what you want to do. Load one with a canned map for your components, which should work fine or get it dyno'd. May or may not be necessary but up to you. If dyno, then you should use what your tuner knows and likes. If you want to mess with it yourself with autotunes, etc then there are other good choices out there. I prefer not to use piggyback tuners personally but again it's a decision on what you want and want to spend.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:46 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,216 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by kishstl
The air will only flow as fast as it's most limiting part of the system and from the factory that is definitely the exhaust and cam.
If I understand what you are saying but sounds like you are conflating velocity with flow?? The intake valve is the flow choke point and the filter make up, i.e., size and material as well as the throttle body can affect flow.

Originally Posted by Zakk13
With it having the 103HO and high flow air cleaner from the factory if i want to switch to another air cleaner like the Screaming eagle heavy breather elite or even a round style like inverted like what Arlen Ness sells so i have to retune? Or is it already tunes for high flow from the factory since it has the HO?
Since EFI is map-based rather than velocity-based (carb) there is very little influence in the a/f as long as it is not too restrictive. On the other hand, a carbed bike will show AFR change with the least bit of intake resistance.

Save the $$ for a replacement air filter and put the funds toward the purchase of a good fuel management system like the Power Vision or the TTS Mastertune. Replace the complete exhaust system with a system from Fuel Moto, Fullsac, V&H or Rinehart and get the motor dyno tuned. Just me but I would take the opportunity to drop in a set of cams like Cyclerama 575, Andrews 48, TTS150 or something similar and get the "Stage II" setup tuned. Could easily see 95HP/110TQ or better even with the OEM filter.........

Even if there was a difference, the only place it would show up would be at WOT and the difference would be negligible; hardly measurable and certainly not register on the butt dyno........

Last edited by djl; 04-19-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:30 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
If I understand what you are saying but sounds like you are conflating velocity with flow?? The intake valve is the flow choke point and the filter make up, i.e., size and material as well as the throttle body can affect flow.

Since EFI is map-based rather than velocity-based (carb) there is very little influence in the a/f as long as it is not too restrictive. On the other hand, a carbed bike will show AFR change with the least bit of intake resistance.

Save the $$ for a replacement air filter and put the funds toward the purchase of a good fuel management system like the Power Vision or the TTS Mastertune. Replace the complete exhaust system with a system from Fuel Moto, Fullsac, V&H or Rinehart and get the motor dyno tuned. Just me but I would take the opportunity to drop in a set of cams like Cyclerama 575, Andrews 48, TTS150 or something similar and get the "Stage II" setup tuned. Could easily see 95HP/110TQ or better even with the OEM filter.........

Even if there was a difference, the only place it would show up would be at WOT and the difference would be negligible; hardly measurable and certainly not register on the butt dyno........
I agree with keeping the stock air cleaner will be just fine for increasing performance will be more then enough being its high flow. But im looking to change it for the looks. I really like the look of the Screaming Eagle Elite series and some of the other air cleaners out there. so the change is mainly for looks. Not really digging the stock one. To be honest most of the mods i do too my bike are for looks and sound. Not really ever expecting to make a fast bike out of a Harley. If i do anything performance wise it would be for the cooler engine aspect more then power.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:50 AM
almasola2008
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same question

I just bought a new 2017 Wide Glide with the 103 HO and stock high flow air intake....I'm looking for the same answer really, but not due to anything performance related, strictly ergonomics. The stock, oval shaped, filter hits my knee and it's hard to reach the rear brake, the Heavy Breather I am looking at getting is more forward and does not interfere with my leg at all. Since both are high flow filters, would it be a straight swap with no re-tuning?

Forgive me if that's a stupid question or if it's already been answered, but this is the first big Harley I've owned, after owning a few sporties, and have never done a stage 1 or bought one with it already done from factory.