Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

88 oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 12:35 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Default 88 oil pump

Couple years ago I lost a tensioner, there was some minor scoring on the oil pump but I could not feel it at all and it seemed mostly visual. 10k miles and no issues.

A few weeks back I did a high speed highway run with my Brother, I normally never ride so fast but we were going 85 plus for miles. The bike started to run a little bit different then blew huge clouds of smoke. I slowed and it stopped and we hit the next exit. There was oil out the AC and down the side of the bike. I had the oil level full and it dropped a bit.

I figured since I normally run the oil level around the half mark or slightly higher that was the issue. I had learned in 2005 with my other 2004 that it did not like full oil levels.

Back on the road at 85 plus and I kept attention and it started to run slightly different and smoked like hell again. Stopped and checked and oil slightly lower.
Repeat and oil now at half level on stick and smoking stopped at speed.

Since then I have ridden about 1k miles and it is just fine but now I have a nagging desire to replace the cam plate and install a S&S oil pump for the increase in scavenging ability, better oil pressure and possible cooler oil seem like a good idea.

Am I wasting money ??

Specs on motor 88" stock bore and heads, Cyco tensioners, Baisley spring and bypass plunger/piston, Torrington inner cam bearings, Andrews 21 cams, S&S adjustables pushrods and lifters, PCV with auto tune. Has 37k on it now.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:29 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Nothing wrong with the early cam plate. Open the cam chest, pull the cam plate and pump and check gerotors and mating surface on the cam plate. If the mating surface on the cam plate is not scuffed or scratched, replace the pump with the Daytona pump for the early TC88s. Also, vent the crank case breathers to the atmosphere. That should solve the high speed running problem.

The following users liked this post:
bigheadted (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 01:30 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Yes.
Scott

bigheadted (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Yes.
Scott
I second this motion

BOB

bigheadted (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 01:36 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the responses gents.

Is the daytona oil pump a better unit than the S&S one ?

Old 04-06-2016, 01:45 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Yes.
Scott
Scott, Yes to the first response or yes that I am wasting time ?? I know it is a little bitty motor !!!hahah

Old 04-06-2016, 08:27 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
Thanks for the responses gents. Is the daytona oil pump a better unit than the S&S one ?
IMHO, it is not a question of which is better but a question of how much one needs to spend for a pump that is an upgrade from the OEM pump. If one wants to spend twice as much for a pretty blue pump that does offer a bit more in basic features than an alternative; that is a decision one must make. What I am saying is that the Daytona pump is more than adequate, offers higher flow and scavenging than the OEM pump and costs at least half of what the S&S TC3 pump will cost. Which one you decide to buy is up to you............

bigheadted (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 08:49 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
IMHO, it is not a question of which is better but a question of how much one needs to spend for a pump that is an upgrade from the OEM pump. If one wants to spend twice as much for a pretty blue pump that does offer a bit more in basic features than an alternative; that is a decision one must make. What I am saying is that the Daytona pump is more than adequate, offers higher flow and scavenging than the OEM pump and costs at least half of what the S&S TC3 pump will cost. Which one you decide to buy is up to you............

Well I never heard of the Daytona until now but I know S&S stuff is usually among the best stuff made, in 25 years of Harley life I never had a problem with them. I know with my lifters I could have saved 200 bucks but went with S&S as well as pushrods but chose Andrews for the cams.

The cost is waaayyyy less for the Daytona versus the S&S and man that has appeal for sure.

In reality a fresh OEM pump would probably suffice but I do plan of some future upgrades like head work and maybe bigger bore and better oil control is never a bad thing.

I appreciate the advice and will do some research on the Daytona pump, do you run them too??

Old 04-06-2016, 09:09 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

If one wants to spend twice as much for a pretty blue pump

Hahhaha this is funny and I missed it first off !! great one for sure !! Personally I would not care if it was pink, purple or polka dotted ! It will be under a cover right !!haha

Old 04-07-2016, 05:32 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
Scott, Yes to the first response or yes that I am wasting time ?? I know it is a little bitty motor !!!hahah

Yes to waisting your time.
djl makes mention of the Daytona pumps.
We use/stock them, and they DO work well.
Scott

Quick Reply: 88 oil pump