Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

T-Man 120R - 124 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 01:07 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 341 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Agreed! Perhaps one day I can join you, in the meantime I'm happy to read about your adventure.
Thanks Graham,

I'm up in Northern Alberta, so the snow that flew yesterday and the -9 chill today is not conducive to setting rings...

But when you're in this side of the planet - for sure.

Potentially less riding this year.

But have a ride to Vancouver Island to get the re-tune by Lonewolf.

TTYL

H

Old 04-14-2016, 10:17 PM
HFS
Club Member

Got the TTS Working...

Now to seat the rings. It snowed today...

unhappy emoticon.

H

Old 04-21-2016, 09:34 PM
HFS
Club Member

So -- There I was last Sunday, at at 17:30 local, was given Monday & Tuesday off.

What made sense to me was that:
a) I needed to see Russel to tune my motorcycle.
b) I needed to tune my new 124R configured motor
c) it is almost 1000 miles to Horseshoe Bay
d) I need ~ 1000 miles for a break in pre-dyno.

I know - I'll do an IBA to break in my 124R...

So coming home from work, my wife is really my best acomplice. She booked the flight home. She went to the grocery store buying snacks, some 5 hr energy and some Red Bull.

I gathered up my riding gear, and a change of clothes as well as the essentials of some tools, some deodourant. I plugged in the flight recorder, and checked the tire pressure.

I was heading to bed at 22:00, 02:00 was to come mighty early. I was a little late, but I invited my friend Netwon to come on the last minute IBA. Initially he declined my insanity, buy before too long, the texts came through and he booked a flight.

02:00 woke me with the alarm on my phone. Begrudgingly I got up and showered, and got geared up.

The trip went without a hitch. The coldest -2C, and the warmest +30C. Fast and furiously the motorcycles roared. I almost ran out of fuel the first stop. I believe a combination of the breakin and the older mix of fuel, lead to this potential close call.

My arrival at the ferry terminal was at 18:30 local [19:30 home time.] We averaged 60 mph for the whole ride.

Now broken in, Russel shall work his magic. His self pronounced 'stingy' dyno, we'll see what kind of comparison to the old dyno he can get. Ride preformance is more important than sheer peak numbers of course. But it will be interesting what the 4 cubes, the port / polish and compression bump will bring to the table.

Then to fly down and ride 'er home.

H

Old 04-25-2016, 07:39 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I think you'll love it - amazing power, everywhere!!! Just 4 years ago I was on a 80ci EVO..... 1310 cc..... Now having a 124 is an amazing ride!!!!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:29 PM
bteski
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 04-28-2016, 03:27 AM
netwon
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing like a text message at 19:45 day of an unannounced IBA, "Just got 48 hours off. IBA 2016. We leave at midnight. Here to Van isle". Girlfriend wasn't too impressed when I decided at 22:00 hours that I was in. Laying in bed barely able to sleep with the thoughts of missing a great ride... "What's going on... what are you doing?" "Well I'm packing for an IBA...see you in a couple days."

Old 05-01-2016, 01:06 PM
HFS
Club Member

Sometimes the universe throws curveballs. Dunno what's the matter with the clutch, it ran -fine- in Nanaimo.

Then it quit holding at about I'm 17.5 on the TCH. Luckily I 'limped' along to exit 18 and a nice patch of real estate to do some investigating.

Without success and the right tools she was loaded in a tow truck and delivered to Deeleys service dept. They're not open until Monday so all I do now is wait.

Hmmmm -- how do you spell 'Hydraulic.' Winning is never easy. If it was, then who cares if you do.

Other than going forward, the motor runs great. 😁.

Maybe she was just a little tired.

Stay tuned.
H

PS - not ONE motorcyclist stopped to ask how I was or how I was doing. There were many - +30 easy. Pretty disappointed with that.

I always stop or slow with a thumbs up and toot of the horn. Regardless phone or not. Regardless in the boonies or not. A little morale support is helpful.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:24 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXHS
Sometimes the universe throws curveballs. Dunno what's the matter with the clutch, it ran -fine- in Nanaimo.

Then it quit holding at about I'm 17.5 on the TCH. Luckily I 'limped' along to exit 18 and a nice patch of real estate to do some investigating.

Without success and the right tools she was loaded in a tow truck and delivered to Deeleys service dept. They're not open until Monday so all I do now is wait.

Hmmmm -- how do you spell 'Hydraulic.' Winning is never easy. If it was, then who cares if you do.

Other than going forward, the motor runs great. 😁.

Maybe she was just a little tired.

Stay tuned.
H

PS - not ONE motorcyclist stopped to ask how I was or how I was doing. There were many - +30 easy. Pretty disappointed with that.

I always stop or slow with a thumbs up and toot of the horn. Regardless phone or not. Regardless in the boonies or not. A little morale support is helpful.
Some people are a little more thoughtful than others. I myself try and make sure people are ok. Don't let it get you down. Godspeed! Congrats on the new animal!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:40 PM
HFS
Club Member

Since I haven't done a followup,

I rode the motorcycle down and completed the IBA, and delivered her to Lonewolf. I had him retune and the motor got a big bump. I have to re-bug him to get my dyno sheets. I think he has my final 120R and now 124R sheets.

I've ridden a lot around the island. It is kicking ***, and seems to really like 130 kmh, with a certain good time at 180...

Sure its not quite legal, but the road is clear and the asphalt is sooooo smooth.

Maybe I need a different exhaust, as I think the supertrapp is holding me back...

Old 05-31-2016, 10:17 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

As far as pipes get a D&D or RB Racing pipe to meet your needs.

Quick Reply: T-Man 120R - 124 Conversion