Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Lifter oil holes IN or OUT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016 | 05:14 AM
adm
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Default Lifter oil holes IN or OUT?

First off, my bike is a 2014 FXDF 103.

I recently did a cam swap and replaced the lifters with Comp Cams 850-1 parts. Now the bike is back together, it runs great, but I have a fairly loud tick/knock type noise that appears to be coming from the front cylinder - especially when the bike is cold.

i suspect incorrect pushrod adjustment or a bad lifter. Pushrods are S&S Quickee adjustable, so I will reset those and play around. Current setting is 4 turns plus 2 flats.

But I have a question on the lifters....

In my service manual it says to insert the lifters into their bores with the oil hole facing INBOARD - i.e. towards the cylinder. So this is what I did.

However - i also read a RedShift cams installation guide that says "make certain you have the oil feed hole in the lifter facing OUTWARDS"

So which should it be ????

Old 02-16-2016 | 05:47 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Makes no difference, in or out, the oil will still get to them. Your tick could be a lifter that isn't pumping up all the way, all it takes is the slightest amount of contamination and a lifter won't work correctly.

Old 02-16-2016 | 07:54 AM
adm
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks, I couldn't really see how the orientation might make much of a difference, but that certainly puts my mind at rest.

I'll probably pull the lifters over the weekend and put the stock ones back in. If that quietens it then I'll know for sure its a lifter issue and replace them with something else...

Old 02-16-2016 | 08:15 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Since the pushrods have to come out anyway re-do your adjustments and try that before pulling the lifters. I'll be using the same lifters 850-1 in my build, my Indy uses them exclusively without issue.

Old 02-16-2016 | 08:39 AM
adm
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mattVA
Since the pushrods have to come out anyway re-do your adjustments and try that before pulling the lifters. I'll be using the same lifters 850-1 in my build, my Indy uses them exclusively without issue.
Yep - I'll definitely try just adjusting the pushrods again first off....I hope that fixes it but I am prepared to replace lifters if that's the issue. It could also be the pushrod knocking on the pushrod tube itself...

Old 02-16-2016 | 10:09 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Yep - I'll definitely try just adjusting the pushrods again first off....I hope that fixes it but I am prepared to replace lifters if that's the issue. It could also be the pushrod knocking on the pushrod tube itself...
You could have a pushrod rubbing on a tube, I just re-read your 1st post. The S&S are some chubby little bastards, there are others when have had issues with them rubbing.

Old 02-16-2016 | 10:22 AM
Nitrusfix
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
First off, my bike is a 2014 FXDF 103.

I recently did a cam swap and replaced the lifters with Comp Cams 850-1 parts. Now the bike is back together, it runs great, but I have a fairly loud tick/knock type noise that appears to be coming from the front cylinder - especially when the bike is cold.

i suspect incorrect pushrod adjustment or a bad lifter. Pushrods are S&S Quickee adjustable, so I will reset those and play around. Current setting is 4 turns plus 2 flats.

But I have a question on the lifters....

In my service manual it says to insert the lifters into their bores with the oil hole facing INBOARD - i.e. towards the cylinder. So this is what I did.

However - i also read a RedShift cams installation guide that says "make certain you have the oil feed hole in the lifter facing OUTWARDS"

So which should it be ????
Had the same noise during warm up I installed a set of Rockouts problem solved! The rocker support plate is aluminum
and expands faster than the rocker shaft causing the shaft to rock back and forth against the hold down bolts.

Old 02-16-2016 | 11:03 AM
adm
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nitrusfix
Had the same noise during warm up I installed a set of Rockouts problem solved! The rocker support plate is aluminum
and expands faster than the rocker shaft causing the shaft to rock back and forth against the hold down bolts.
:-) I already put Rocker Lockers in there when I put it back together......so I hope it's not that!

Old 02-16-2016 | 11:05 AM
adm
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by msocko3
You could have a pushrod rubbing on a tube, I just re-read your 1st post. The S&S are some chubby little bastards, there are others when have had issues with them rubbing.
My question here is, how would I know? I guess look for witness marks on the pushrods when I pull them? Although I've only done around 50 miles on the bike since putting it back together, so probably not enough time to see anything.

Old 02-16-2016 | 03:47 PM
Nitrusfix
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
My question here is, how would I know? I guess look for witness marks on the pushrods when I pull them? Although I've only done around 50 miles on the bike since putting it back together, so probably not enough time to see anything.
I am using S&S pushrods and they were rubbing on the pushrod tubes so I used the top half of OEM tubes they are about an inch shorter and bottoms of S&S tubes so I can make adjustments that gives enough clearance for the collar not to rub.

Quick Reply: Lifter oil holes IN or OUT?