Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Lifter oil holes IN or OUT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016 | 03:32 PM
adm
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrusfix
I thought the same but some guys were cutting an inch or so off the top S&S tube for clearance I tried top OEM and S&S bottom and it will work. The collar of the pushrod was hitting the the bottom inch or so of top tube leaving marks on them as well as the pushrod collar
Cool. I might give that a go. Nothing like covering all the bases.

I also have a new (old stock) set of Gaterman GP1023 lifters, so I will drop those in as well, readjust the pushrods etc...

On a positive note, when I took it apart, it all looked as if there was plenty of oil getting to and through the lifters....

Old 02-19-2016 | 11:56 AM
adm
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrusfix

I thought the same but some guys were cutting an inch or so off the top S&S tube for clearance I tried top OEM and S&S bottom and it will work. The collar of the pushrod was hitting the the bottom inch or so of top tube leaving marks on them as well as the pushrod collar
Originally Posted by adm
Cool. I might give that a go. Nothing like covering all the bases.

I also have a new (old stock) set of Gaterman GP1023 lifters, so I will drop those in as well, readjust the pushrods etc...

On a positive note, when I took it apart, it all looked as if there was plenty of oil getting to and through the lifters....
Well.....I did give it a go and it certainly works fine. Thanks for the suggestion. It certainly took the noise away.

The weather is bad today so I haven't been able to ride the bike, but it's definitely much quieter.

I dropped in the Gaterman lifters as well while I was at it, so now I have pushrod tubes that won't rub and lifters that give me a bit more piece of mind due to the three oiling holes. Bike clattered a bit when I first fired it up but quietened down after a minute or two. I presume that was just the new lifters pumping up. Pushrods adjusted to three turns (32 TPI) per Gaterman instructions.

Need to go ride it around and see how it sounds and feels after putting some miles on....