Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Compression for the layman

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:34 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,735 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Default Compression for the layman

Greetings,

Slowly acquiring parts this winter to add a little uummpphhh for the engine. Just cams and what not.

Regarding compression...

I confess, I read about static compression and this and that, and I'm a little lost.

Bottom line, is bumping up compression a relatively easy thing to do? I've read about changing out the head gaskets to .30 and this brings the compression to about 10. Is this something the layman can do? Is this recommended? Are there other things involved?

By the way, I'm installing Andrews 57H cams and lifters/pushrods.

I assume bumping up compression reduces the longevity of the motor? How does compression affect mileage?

Sorry for the newb'ish questions....

Old 01-21-2016, 08:24 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

the 57 cams like moderate compression,we set them @ 10.25-1 here,but can be squeezed to 10.5-1.what CID is your motor?

Old 01-21-2016, 10:36 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
Greetings,

Slowly acquiring parts this winter to add a little uummpphhh for the engine. Just cams and what not.

Regarding compression...

I confess, I read about static compression and this and that, and I'm a little lost.

Bottom line, is bumping up compression a relatively easy thing to do? I've read about changing out the head gaskets to .30 and this brings the compression to about 10. Is this something the layman can do? Is this recommended? Are there other things involved?

By the way, I'm installing Andrews 57H cams and lifters/pushrods.

I assume bumping up compression reduces the longevity of the motor? How does compression affect mileage?

Sorry for the newb'ish questions....
That .030" gask and the 57 will give you a nice jump in power.
Scott

Old 01-21-2016, 11:26 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
Greetings,

Regarding compression...

I confess, I read about static compression and this and that, and I'm a little lost. Bottom line, is bumping up compression a relatively easy thing to do? I've read about changing out the head gaskets to .30 and this brings the compression to about 10. Is this something the layman can do? Is this recommended? Are there other things involved? By the way, I'm installing Andrews 57H cams and lifters/pushrods.

Listen to Kirby and Scott regarding target compression for the 57 cams; good choice BTW.

A .030" head gasket will raise static CR .25 to .30 points; the increase will vary a bit depending on the CID of the motor which you have not provided. As an example; if static compression is 9.6 with a stock head gasket which is about .045" thick, replacing that head gasket with a .030" head gasket will increase static CR to about 9.9. Of course there are other ways to increase compression. Dome pistons can be used or cylinder heads can be "decked" to reduce the volume of the combustion chamber.

Static CR is just a number. An operating motor never sees static CR but runs on dynamic compression, sometimes referred to as corrected compression. Dynamic compression is a function of the timing of the closing of the intake valve which is why cam selection is so important. Reasonable increases in compression will not affect the longevity of a motor. Actually, all other factors being equal, increasing compression will improve the efficiency of the combustion process resulting in better fuel economy.

I would suggest that you spend some time reading about compression; it's not that complicated and the information is out there. If you don't want to take the time to do the reading, talk to someone that knows how to get the most out of those 57 cams.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:24 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member

Thank you all for the info.

So, if I have this correct, along with the Andrews 57H cams, I can install the .030 gasket without worry to raise the compression.

I have no idea what the engine CID is? I can tell you, it's a standard 103 engine in a Switchback, if that helps.

Edited to add: Does CID stand for Cubic Inch Displacement? If so, my engine is a 103

Last edited by rauchman; 01-22-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:11 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
That .030" gask and the 57 will give you a nice jump in power.
Scott
Thank you!

Anything else that needs to be done in conjunction with the .030" gasket?

Thanks!