Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Breathers - need a little advice please

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 12:05 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Default Breathers - need a little advice please

All,

I am midway through doing cams and heads on my '14 FXDF. New cams are in and the heads are off to get ported and gas flowed.

So I am currently working my way through all the other little bits I need to do.

Looking at the service manual, it says that the breather assemblies in the rocker boxes are now a complete assembly and need to be replaced with new assemblies.

However.....I have a Cometic rocker box gasket kit which has all the various bits of the breather assembly - gaskets, umbrella valves, filters etc.

So my question is......do I really need to go to the dealer and buy new breather assemblies or is it OK to rebuild them using the parts from the Cometic kit.

Cometic rocker box gasket kit is p/n 9588

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-06-2015, 03:18 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Don't know how many miles on the motor but the breathers may not need to be replaced. New breathers are about $10/each, no brainer if you choose to replace; get new ones. The Cometic kit includes gaskets, etc. to rebuild the early breathers that were not a complete assembly. Never heard of anyone being able to rebuild the new stamped breathers.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:59 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Don't know how many miles on the motor but the breathers may not need to be replaced. New breathers are about $10/each, no brainer if you choose to replace; get new ones. The Cometic kit includes gaskets, etc. to rebuild the early breathers that were not a complete assembly. Never heard of anyone being able to rebuild the new stamped breathers.
Very good - and thanks!

I was just confused by the fact that the Cometic kit had the gaskets and filters etc - but if they are for an older version then that makes sense.

I'll just go ahead and get new breather assemblies. The motor only has 10K miles on it, but I might as well just replace them while it's open for peace of mind.