Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Need some veteran advice on my build decision.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 04:12 AM
KDH92
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need some veteran advice on my build decision.

Ok I'll cut to the chase... I've made several posts on this site trying to learn a few things about HDs here and there. I'll just lay it all on the line so I can get the best advice. So I'm picking up my 16 Dyna switchback in June once I'm back from deployment (I've ridden bikes before, this is my first Harley). This is what I want to do: immediately get a V&H pro pipe with tuner, and then go to fuel moto for the 107 kit. Upon what I've read, I don't feel comfortable with going past 107 because I don't want to bore out the engine case. What goes into the best 107 build possible? I want the longest engine life possible with a good boost in power. What all will I need to get to where I want? My first step is with the tuner. Should I go with a dealer tune or with my own store bought tuner?

Old 11-20-2015, 04:34 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 566 Likes on 394 Posts

Forget the 107.a cam along with good headwork/ cam/ exhaust / intake mods are what you want for longevity. A bump up to 10:1 compression should be fine and don't overcam. Your Dyna,like all late model HD's are geared too high,andlowering the gearig is a great way to get a good seat of the pabnts increase in performance and makes the the bike more fun to ride.save the Money on the 107kit and put towards better suspension components.enjoy your ride and thanks for your service,

Old 11-20-2015, 05:53 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

a 107" will give in the +4-5 hp & 5-6 #`s TQ over a similar built 103".a good,reliable build would be headwork flowing 260+ @ 28",10.5-1 compression & S&S .585 cams.this will do 110+/115+ in a 103"(if going 10.5-1,you should have forged pistons,if buying 103" forged pistons,you might as well go 107",would be the same price with around a extra 100.00 for boring your cylinders) ,ide look at a TTS or POWER VISION tunier

Last edited by prodrag1320; 11-20-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:44 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by KDH92
Ok I'll cut to the chase... I've made several posts on this site trying to learn a few things about HDs here and there. I'll just lay it all on the line so I can get the best advice. So I'm picking up my 16 Dyna switchback in June once I'm back from deployment (I've ridden bikes before, this is my first Harley). This is what I want to do: immediately get a V&H pro pipe with tuner, and then go to fuel moto for the 107 kit. Upon what I've read, I don't feel comfortable with going past 107 because I don't want to bore out the engine case. What goes into the best 107 build possible? I want the longest engine life possible with a good boost in power. What all will I need to get to where I want? My first step is with the tuner. Should I go with a dealer tune or with my own store bought tuner?
Reliabilty is not a question here.
30 years of HD engine building and machine work speak for themselves.
Fellow forum member Target64's Dyna runs a 107" that taps on 130 hp with an S&S .585 cam/1.725 intake rocker arm, and our heads/107" cyls.
And as our sites states, no "cookie-cutter" builds here.
Wood has cams that'll mark at/near those number, as well as Andrews.
Techno-Research Direct Link may be something to investigate as well.
Hand-built, one-at-a-time engine building......here.
Scott

Old 11-20-2015, 11:47 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by KDH92
First I thank you for your service and look forward to serving you when you return from deployment. If you are planning on bringing Fuel Moto your bike for a 107" kit we will see the build thru start to finish from the pre-sale consultation, to getting you scheduled, down to the engine build, the dyno break in and professional tune. We can also assist with scheduling hotel accomodations and have special discounts worked out with local hotels, and we will transport you to and from the hotel while you are here. We will also ensure your build uses a proven combination of components which compement each other. The V&H Pro Pipe is a great choice and will work well with the build. For the FM 107 kit we have various options for compression ratios, cylinder heads, and cams based on what you are looking for.

Getting back to your inital plans for a pipe & tuner, for tuning I would highly suggest the Dynojet Power Vision, this will provide the ability to tune any combination you choose both now and later. We can also provide a Fuel Moto map for the Pro Pipe with the stock 103" motor which will work well before you go to 107 along with unlimited tuning support. Fuel Moto also offers a package for the pipe, air cleaner, & Power Vision at a very good discount. We are more than happy to assist with any questions you have and look forward to helping out.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 11-20-2015, 06:17 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

It might be just me, but I don't really see the point of taking a new 103" to 107". It's a lot of money for an additional 60cc or so on a 1690cc engine.

You'd probably be better served in terms of bang for the buck with a good intake, exhaust and tuner, plus a new set of cams and some good headwork.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:03 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Best thing I ever did was go 107 from 103.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:39 PM
KDH92
Advanced

Thanks for the responses guys. I was torn at the idea of going bigger, but on this site I've been told to stay away from anything larger if longevity is what I'm after. @fuelmoto from what I hear you guys are nothing less than spectacular and you commenting on this leads me to believe that so far. I live in Virginia, so I guess it'll be a hell of a ride out there to see you guys.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:57 PM
KDH92
Advanced

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Best thing I ever did was go 107 from 103.
Is it a noticeable difference right away?

Old 11-20-2015, 09:10 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

With a 107" kit from a 103": 4 cu ins, better pistons, deeper piston valve pockets for bigger cams, more compression, and relatively inexpensive. Pretty easy to do if you are planning to take the heads off.

Quick Reply: Need some veteran advice on my build decision.