Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Need some veteran advice on my build decision.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 08:33 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by KDH92
I learned to ride on smaller bikes, took my test on a shitty old Kawasaki. Even went the extra mile and went to the riders course in my home state on leave after ordering my Dyna. This will be the first I can call my own. I know it's a big jump from the learner bikes I was on, but I've wanted a Harley ever since I enlisted, but being stationed overseas told me otherwise. I've always been a gear head though, so I liked the idea of doing work to it. Buuuut maybe I shouldn't start by messing with the engine.
You're going to love it! Dynas are great bikes.

And, again, I'll offer my kindest, most respectful suggestion that you ignore all the advice that says if you don't go straight to a turbocharged 161 cubic inch engine making 300 RWHP you're wasting your money.

Ride it for a year, pay down your loan a bit, and by then you'll have a much better picture of what you like and don't like, and what about the bike satisfies you or doesn't satisfy you. Then, and only then will you have enough personal experience and knowledge to make the best decision.

And keep your head down till your deployment ends.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:37 PM
KDH92
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
You're going to love it! Dynas are great bikes.

And, again, I'll offer my kindest, most respectful suggestion that you ignore all the advice that says if you don't go straight to a turbocharged 161 cubic inch engine making 300 RWHP you're wasting your money.

Ride it for a year, pay down your loan a bit, and by then you'll have a much better picture of what you like and don't like, and what about the bike satisfies you or doesn't satisfy you. Then, and only then will you have enough personal experience and knowledge to make the best decision.

And keep your head down till your deployment ends.
Haha it's hardly a deployment. But thanks for the advice. So since I'm gunna have a 103, why do you think it's the best motor out of the bunch?

Old 11-29-2015, 10:45 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Actually, rather than comparing it to other current motors, I was thinking of motors in the past. Really, only the Street is brand new. Even the VRod is well over a decade old.

The twin cam has been around long enough that the weaknesses have been identified and corrected. It's like a small block Ford or Chevy V-8. After they'd been around a few decades, they were pretty much figured out.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:34 AM
KDH92
Advanced

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Actually, rather than comparing it to other current motors, I was thinking of motors in the past. Really, only the Street is brand new. Even the VRod is well over a decade old.

The twin cam has been around long enough that the weaknesses have been identified and corrected. It's like a small block Ford or Chevy V-8. After they'd been around a few decades, they were pretty much figured out.
You think I could see over 100k out of a 103?

Old 11-30-2015, 09:37 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Of course but longevity depends on regular maintenance and normal use. If you are into bouncing off the rev limiter every time you run through the gears, like burnouts and wheelies, all bets are off.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:45 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

I learned to ride on smaller bikes, took my test on a shitty old Kawasaki. Even went the extra mile and went to the riders course in my home state on leave after ordering my Dyna. This will be the first I can call my own. I know it's a big jump from the learner bikes I was on, but I've wanted a Harley ever since I enlisted, but being stationed overseas told me otherwise. I've always been a gear head though, so I liked the idea of doing work to it. Buuuut maybe I shouldn't start by messing with the engine.
Lot's of good advice in the previous posts. However, since this is your first Harley and you have a lot to learn, patience is the key. A Stage I 103" motor, with a proper tune will run quite well. Take some time to get familiar with the bike, read as much as you can here and on other forums but don't take everything you read as gospel; there is a lot of misinformation on the forums. Don't put too much stock in what dealer techs tell you; many of them know just enough to be dangerous. Warranty is an issue and you need to decide if the factor two year warranty has value to you or not and that will limit and/or influence any modifications you might plan while the warranty is in effect. Patience my friend; patience.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:20 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by djl
Of course but longevity depends on regular maintenance and normal use. If you are into bouncing off the rev limiter every time you run through the gears, like burnouts and wheelies, all bets are off.
Originally Posted by djl
Lot's of good advice in the previous posts. However, since this is your first Harley and you have a lot to learn, patience is the key. A Stage I 103" motor, with a proper tune will run quite well. Take some time to get familiar with the bike, read as much as you can here and on other forums but don't take everything you read as gospel; there is a lot of misinformation on the forums. Don't put too much stock in what dealer techs tell you; many of them know just enough to be dangerous. Warranty is an issue and you need to decide if the factor two year warranty has value to you or not and that will limit and/or influence any modifications you might plan while the warranty is in effect. Patience my friend; patience.
Yes, yes, and yes.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:33 PM
KDH92
Advanced

Originally Posted by djl
Oh don't worry I'm gunna take care of it. I've always taken pride in what I've owned. I'm excited tho!

Old 11-30-2015, 07:00 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,433 Likes on 3,625 Posts

The only thing you'll have to worry about would be the chain drive cams and guides. They won't go 100k but are very easy to inspect and replace. Stay on top of them and you really shouldn't have major issues...

Old 11-30-2015, 07:02 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
The only thing you'll have to worry about would be the chain drive cams and guides. They won't go 100k but are very easy to inspect and replace. Stay on top of them and you really shouldn't have major issues...
2016's have chain drive cams?!?

Quick Reply: Need some veteran advice on my build decision.