Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Need some veteran advice on my build decision.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 12:13 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by KDH92
Ok I did, I understand what it is. I didn't realize it was called that. So you guys are saying oil usage is more common in larger engines?
No, it's not.

Honestly, if this is your first Harley, I think you're going in way too deep, way, way too much money, way quicker than you should. If you did the things that everyone is suggesting you do, you're going to be adding another $4,000-$7,000 on top of the cost of your bike.

Why?

You don't even know what a stock 103 feels like. You may like it.

Here's what I would suggest:

1. Ride it stock for a few months.
2. Go to a Stage 1: freer flowing air cleaner, plus a 2-into-1 exhaust system, (A Pro Pipe is great!), and a quality tune.
3. Ride that for the rest of the season.

Then you'll have a better idea of what you like, what you want, and what you want to spend, if anything.

Enjoy your Switchback!

Old 11-23-2015, 01:04 AM
KDH92
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
No, it's not.

Honestly, if this is your first Harley, I think you're going in way too deep, way, way too much money, way quicker than you should. If you did the things that everyone is suggesting you do, you're going to be adding another $4,000-$7,000 on top of the cost of your bike.

Why?

You don't even know what a stock 103 feels like. You may like it.

Here's what I would suggest:

1. Ride it stock for a few months.
2. Go to a Stage 1: freer flowing air cleaner, plus a 2-into-1 exhaust system, (A Pro Pipe is great!), and a quality tune.
3. Ride that for the rest of the season.

Then you'll have a better idea of what you like, what you want, and what you want to spend, if anything.

Enjoy your Switchback!
With all the answers I've received, I think this is the wisest choice. Thank you all so much for the knowledge, but I do think that I should at least wait til I have it paid off. But by the next season I do think I'll be ready to make this mod.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:09 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Glad to help, and enjoy the bike!

Old 11-23-2015, 06:02 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

By then, the 70mm cable-drawn t/body from S&S will be available, to strap a 143" in that bike.
Search for power will be over then.
Scott

Old 11-23-2015, 06:14 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,433 Likes on 3,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
By then, the 70mm cable-drawn t/body from S&S will be available, to strap a 143" in that bike.
Search for power will be over then.
Scott
And the search for the a drivetrain to handle all that will begin.....LOL...

Old 11-24-2015, 02:34 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
And the search for the a drivetrain to handle all that will begin.....LOL...
JIMS Fat 5 should work.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:58 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Actually the rear tire will be the cushion. ha.
Scott

Old 11-24-2015, 01:01 PM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IN BETWEENER.. all of the vendors, Prodrag, Hillside, FuelMoto have great reps, gave good options and I feel you get a better product overall than the Screaming Eagle overall.

IdahoHacker makes good points of keeping it stock for awhile and easing into it.

I've bought two Harleys (Dyna Fatbob & Streetglide) after coming off of a Ducati and a KTM (well didn't really come off of them as I still have both) and on the Dyna it has been stock except a pipe and air filter. It's OK but not very inspiring, maybe I should say depressing, power wise considering my other rides. On my Streetglide I'd had more time in the HD world and had researched things more with it. I wanted to maintain the full factory warranty for a couple of years but wanted to get it so that it "Ran Right". WHat I mean is it was not chocked down by epa regulations.. So I went with a SE kit which included a mild but hotter cam, a tuner, and Heavy Clutch spring. Added a Ventilator Intake and some V&H Power Duals with monster rounds. It is nothing special but it certainly gets up and goes pretty darn well since it lets more air in and gets it out efficiently and a little cam to help out. Was able to negotiate it into the price up front and haven't had a big desire to change anything on it since.
If I was doing this now with the current options the MOCO has I'd have them stick in the least expensive 110" Drop-in kit (pistons/cylinders/585cams) before leaving the dealer add a tuner, intake and exhaust then take it to a GOOD tuner and have it tuned. It is not going to be as polished of a kit as what FM/Hillside/Prodrag have but your warranty is all intact and you have the base components all assembled so if you are wanting more power then a different cam and/or some headwork would have you making some serious power at that point.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:10 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

^^ I would at least cam the thing. Stage II you can keep your warranty if you work with your dealer and use SE parts. Just don't let the dealer tune it. See if they can just put the download in with the price for parts and take it to a good tuner. That will wake the bike up. Ride it for a season and then see where you want to be.

I have a Ducati and have had numerous other liter sport/naked bikes in the past. The HD will never be what they are but that is not the point of it. On the HD you can still have fun and keep your license.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:33 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by KDH92
I'm a little confused by your statement... What do you mean blow by than others regardless of oil level?
===============

Blowby is normally caused by poor ring seal allowing more then normal amount of gas from combustion process to get past rings into the crankcase .

That results in more oil mist exiting crankcase breather into the motors intake system if stock or out an aftermarket oil breather system thats vented to atmosphere.

Also,poor ring seal is caused by a few things like for example out of round cyls (Yes,even when new from HD,imagine that!/LOL!) like was already suggested , cyl boring done without using a trq plate to just simply rings/cyls being worn out.

Hope this answers your question.

Scott

Quick Reply: Need some veteran advice on my build decision.