Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Need some veteran advice on my build decision.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 11:55 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Why do you feel the need to modify the engine of a motorcycle you never ridden before? Since you have experience riding other bikes, you may find it to be a disappointment even after you spent the money on upgrades.

Leave it 100% stock and ride it for a season. If you still like the Harley and you feel that you need more power, drop a S&S Cycle 124" crate motor in it.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:35 AM
KDH92
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Why do you feel the need to modify the engine of a motorcycle you never ridden before? Since you have experience riding other bikes, you may find it to be a disappointment even after you spent the money on upgrades.

Leave it 100% stock and ride it for a season. If you still like the Harley and you feel that you need more power, drop a S&S Cycle 124" crate motor in it.
That does make sense. What I'm trying to do is get it where I want it and leave it alone. The 124 sounds like more than I want.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:43 AM
KDH92
Advanced

Originally Posted by Next In Line

That does make sense. What I'm trying to do is get it where I want it right away and leave it alone. The 124 sounds like more than I want.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:11 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

a 124" is the way to go,even on a very mild build,your looking at 130/140.ide build your existing motor instead of going with a crate motor.cheaper,you keep your #`s and most important,it can be built to your exact riding style

Last edited by prodrag1320; 11-21-2015 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:46 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Everyone talks about needing to bore hd cylinders to get them round, your oems are no different. Why do you think that some bikes have so much more blow by than others regardless of oil level? Thats one big reason to go 107". Yes is does cost the price of the parts (pistons rings gaskets 600 ish) and the bore labor to do this. But if a guy is taking the heads off I would do it in a heartbeat. Plus you can pick your cams and compression with no pre existing limitations. You can comfortably make 115-120hp and 120+tq with a 107". Plus as was stated, no VIN # changes like would need to be done with a crate motor. Yes you can make more power with a 107" than 120 but then it gets less comfortable, LOL. Call up one of the forum sponsors and have a chat.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:44 PM
KDH92
Advanced

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Everyone talks about needing to bore hd cylinders to get them round, your oems are no different. Why do you think that some bikes have so much more blow by than others regardless of oil level? Thats one big reason to go 107". Yes is does cost the price of the parts (pistons rings gaskets 600 ish) and the bore labor to do this. But if a guy is taking the heads off I would do it in a heartbeat. Plus you can pick your cams and compression with no pre existing limitations. You can comfortably make 115-120hp and 120+tq with a 107". Plus as was stated, no VIN # changes like would need to be done with a crate motor. Yes you can make more power with a 107" than 120 but then it gets less comfortable, LOL. Call up one of the forum sponsors and have a chat.
I'm a little confused by your statement... What do you mean blow by than others regardless of oil level?

Old 11-22-2015, 09:51 AM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 351 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by KDH92
I'm a little confused by your statement... What do you mean blow by than others regardless of oil level?
google blow by oil consumption for the complete answer

Old 11-22-2015, 10:08 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member

That does make sense. What I'm trying to do is get it where I want it and leave it alone. The 124 sounds like more than I want.
You can always put a smaller cam (640 to 585) in to dial the power back.

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
a 124" is the way to go,even on a very mild build,your looking at 130/140.ide build your existing motor instead of going with a crate motor.cheaper,you keep your #`s and most important,it can be built to your exact riding style
S&S 124" Hot Setup kit is 4600- parts only. The stock engine needs to be disassembled completely, cases machined, clearances checked while reassembling... Labor costs added to the parts cost pushes the the price higher than the S&S 124" Crate Motor which is 6000-.

At least that was in my case because I have a '00 - '06 B motor.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:18 PM
KDH92
Advanced

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
google blow by oil consumption for the complete answer
Ok I did, I understand what it is. I didn't realize it was called that. So you guys are saying oil usage is more common in larger engines?

Old 11-22-2015, 11:56 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok I did, I understand what it is. I didn't realize it was called that. So you guys are saying oil usage is more common in larger engines?
It is more about how the engine is build and broken in than the actual size of the engine itself.

I had stock '05 heads (SE 95" kit) with bad valve seals and that burned oil until it was fixed under warranty.

Same engine went up to 107" and was spitting oil every time it was running. When it was torn a part (nothing but problems due to the parts slapper), there was a crushed O-ring that wouldn't allow a proper seal.

Ended up having it rebuilt with a 124". Just had the 250 mile oil change done (current builder did the first 50 miles on the road) and it didn't use a drop of oil.

Quick Reply: Need some veteran advice on my build decision.