Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

S&S Quickees or adjustables??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 06:45 AM
s76helipilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default S&S Quickees or adjustables??

Just getting ready to order parts for a cam change on a 2010 stock 96. Going with a 48H, S&S standard tappets and S&S pushrods.

Is there any reason to not go with the quickees other than spending a little more cash? If I understand it correctly, the quickees will let me remove the pushrods without removing the lifter blocks and the adjustables won't.

The bike only has about 5k miles on it. Besides inner bearings is there anything else on that year I should address while in there??

Thanks

Old 11-06-2015, 07:14 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

actually its removing the rocker boxes,not tappet covers.we use the S&S quickies on 95% of builds,ide go there

Old 11-06-2015, 07:36 AM
s76helipilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe I misunderstood this then. I was under the impression that either the adjustables or quickees let me change cams without pulling the rocker boxes. But to remove the pushrods down the road I would need to pull the tappet covers with the adjustables but not with the quickees.

Not sure that part is a big deal. Mainly interested in the longevity and strength differences between the two options if any.

Thanks for the input.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:07 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 251 Posts

Like Kirby, we almost strictly use Quickees, unless someone demands a different pushrod. No rocker box or lifter block involvement...

Old 11-08-2015, 05:30 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Either won't require you to remove the top end.....

Quickies can come off w/o lifter blocks being removed and the standard adjustable will require lifter blocks to be removed. I went w/ the standard adjustable.

.......and yes I have removed the rods after my build W/O removing anything from top when I added the H2LT spacers to my Premium S&S lifters.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:59 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,100 Likes on 6,141 Posts

I use S&S standard adjustables on mine and the blocks had to come off.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:23 PM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

how does they compare to Smith Bros quick install ?

Old 11-15-2015, 04:56 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,444 Likes on 3,631 Posts

I have the S&S adjustables and have never used the quickies but have exchanged cams twice this year and yea I had to remove lifter blocks and that can be a pain in the *** but I personally think the regular adjustables are beefier than the quickies. Based on pictures that I've tried to compare from. I have never had an issue and if you're removing the pushrods for some reason why would you not check your lifters?

In the end at this point it's what you're comfortable with. They both perform very well.

The one thing I like to keep the same is that if you're going to use S&S pushrods you might want to think about using their lifters as well. They are machined to match.

I have used another aftermarket brand pushrod with oem lifters in my evo and the fit could have been better. Never could quiet them down....

Old 11-16-2015, 04:57 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by s76helipilot
Just getting ready to order parts for a cam change on a 2010 stock 96. Going with a 48H, S&S standard tappets and S&S pushrods.

Is there any reason to not go with the quickees other than spending a little more cash? If I understand it correctly, the quickees will let me remove the pushrods without removing the lifter blocks and the adjustables won't.

The bike only has about 5k miles on it. Besides inner bearings is there anything else on that year I should address while in there??

Thanks

Either will work, but the Quickees do not require lifter cover removal.
We keep either on the shelf here, along with those cams and all else needed for a trouble-free install.
Scott

Old 11-16-2015, 01:19 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

i went with the std adjustables, just seemed a bit more solid piece of kit. I dont mind having to pull the lifter blocks to fit them

Quick Reply: S&S Quickees or adjustables??