Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Twin Cam Chain Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 11:29 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,216 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
Where do you get your facts? I don't want to sound like I doubt what you are saying but once I heard of this issue I started researching and found lots of stories of these failing from 15,000 to 40,000 miles with the pre-2007 engines. Does anyone get 100,000 miles on these? Actually from what I've read it's very hard to get 50,000 miles on the spring actuated tensioners.
So many people get catastrophic engine failure before 30,000 miles and others go over 100,000 miles without a problem? How's that? Is it the brand of oil? Could it be that a lot of people ride with low oil levels?

Granted when someone gets the kind of mileage they expect out of an engine they don't say anything. But when they have catastrophic engine failure at only 20,000 miles they want to tell the whole world.

Here's one article I found very troubling: http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.bi...buyharley.html
Yes maybe he trumped up the issue but if you have anything to counter it I would really like specifics, not just "My brother knows someone who has 150,000 miles an early twin cam engine with no problems".

Here's another article: http://www.hdopenroad.com/guest-arti...ust-know-this/

also: http://www.lawabidingbiker.com/73/
Well Dave, it really doesn't matter to me if you doubt what I previously posted; you are certainly entitled to your opinion. You go me on facts as my data is anecdotal but I stand by the claim that when one compares to the total number of TC88s sold between 1999 and 2007 (excluding Dyna) and the number of TC88s with tensioner issues, the percentage is quite small and not the pandemic that some believe. On the other hand, I have two Harleys and both had tensioners that were worn beyond service limits (50%) in the first 25K miles of operation. On the other hand, my brother has nearly 50K miles on his '05 FXST and his tensioners are worn but still within service limits when we checked them recently. We did replace them with CYCO tensioners though.

The "Before You Buy a Harley" epistle has been floating around on the internet forever; total Harley bashing but it is on the internet so it must be true, right? You might be surprised to know that Harley is not the "worst" motorcycle based on percentage of reported issues on new motorcycle purchases from 2009-2012; BMW was the worst offender, Harley second and Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki lining up behind them with Yamaha having the best record. So, I would suggest that Russell Publishing write an article on BMWs.

Like I said, I am not going to engage in a debate. However, will say that we agree on the ultimate and permanent solution for someone concerned about tensioner failure and that solution is gear drive cams provided the crank is within acceptable runout limits which is more an issue with the post '07 motors than the earlier motors. There are two alternatives to gear drive cams; the CYCO tensioners and the later HD hydro tensioner/roller chain setup that will probably last longer than the owner will keep the motorcycle; both are good long term solutions but that's JMHO.

You go your way and I will go mine.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:42 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

78,000 on mine and still running the original outside shoe. Replaced the inside because I cracked it when I let go too fast when checking it. But it still was at 90% or more when I did that.
YMMV but I like the mileage I am getting on mine

Old 09-15-2015, 09:03 PM
kink04fxd
Tourer
Received 209 Likes on 96 Posts

I bought a 2000 FLHTI in July to replace the one I crashed after a confrontation with an 8 point buck. 33,500 miles and had never been opened up. Went to Sturgis but knew I should check the tensioners when I got back. Luckily, the outside shoe was about half worn but the inside was shot, in fact I'm surprised it didn't disintegrate. It was cracked and down to damn near the metal. Replaced them with a set of Cyco shoes so I feel I'm good to go for another 30,000. ( I hope).

Old 09-16-2015, 03:26 PM
sayah
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roadking 1999

I check the the tensioners on my bike having 40000miles and both were almost broken after asking in diferents shops I decide to fit a 510G s&s kit and put the problem away
that cost me 1000€ more or less 800 usa currency
Sure in USA will be cheaper

Old 08-21-2016, 06:51 PM
31scout
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

I know this thread is not new but as a point of info;
I changed my '04 EG Classic over to the SE upgraded tensioners after 75,000 miles. I did it after worrying about this issue, reading all the stories, etc. The original tensioners had less than .030" wear on them, next to none.
Why mine lasted? Who knows, just lucky I guess. I did change the oil religiously.

The following users liked this post:
Durango Dave (08-21-2016)