Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Can you help explain these Dyno numbers to me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:57 AM
BadHabit
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Can you help explain these Dyno numbers to me?

80'' evo with hillside stage 1 headwork, 10-1 pistons (9.08-1 corrected compression and est 182.4 cold cranking compression) vthunder

3020 cam,dyna 2000 ignition module,factory cv carb reworked with cv performance parts, ness breather and white-bros 2-1

with16disks. Prior to the dyno run I was/am having an issue with slight pinging (ONLY off idle AND when hot)

To try and help this I upped the pilot to a 46 and dropped the plug gap to .035. I also backed the initial timing off a small

amount (2 marks on timing plate). This seemed to help somewhat but didn't totally take care of the issue. Im only getting this

off idle when hot....I informed the tuner this and after the tune he said that he felt like the engine wanted more timing but he

said he didn't want to do this since I told him the engine was already experiencing some pinging. Also he didn't adjust

the jetting either. He said I was rich off idle but he didn't want to change that for the same reason...I started with 12 disks

in the pipe and he ended up with 16. He uses a mustang ec997a eddy current dyno. He said he tunes by reading c02 readings not a/f

ratio which I have no idea how to read...When asking about the diffrences between his dyno and the popular dynojet dyno He says he

prefers his type of dyno better for real world tuning because of the way the eddy current (inertia) dyno is run he said it is usually

a minimum of 10% low compared to a dynojet dyno.....All this being said I was hoping some of the dyno experts here could help explain

the gas readings to me and offer any sugestions they might have for getting the best out of my build. Thanks for ANY help reading

these numbers and gas numbers

Old 09-02-2015, 12:04 PM
BadHabit
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Also forgot to mention that he said he didn't run past 6000 because he said he felt like

it isn't needed on a street bike.?. And the run was done in 4th gear not 5th..

Old 09-02-2015, 01:00 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm not knocking the dyno but I used a guy 1x that used that same set up and he had every excuse in the world why he couldn't get my bike tuned and the numbers were low. After 2 days of tuning he called me said its done. He used 4th gear too. Yeah I never used that shop again for anything.