Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Fm 107 vs stage 4 103 (no brainer right?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015 | 09:09 PM
ScrapingFloorBoards
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
Have two friends that have had dealer installed and tuned SE 103 Stage IV kits; one the race kit and one the street kit. Both had rideability issues and were disappointed with the results. Torque cam on late and bikes were almost unrideable below 3000rpms. The dealer tunes were the main reason why both builds had issues. One resolved the issue with a proper tune; peak numbers increased marginally but the big difference was the performance at partial throttle; the guy was very happy with the results but still wanted the torque to come in a bit earlier. The other guy resolve his issue by replacing the 259 with the S&S 585 and a retune; tuned by the same tuner. The guy is over the moon with the difference in performance.

I don't know what your goals are but having been there and done that, I would stick with a 107" build, good heads, larger throttle body, better cams and go for a 120/120 motor and not as hard on the bank account as a 117" motor. A 117" requires the lower unit to be pulled for case boring, Timken conversion and crank work; expensive. If you want a bigger, badder motor, spend a little more money and call the S&S guys up for one of their 124" motors.
I should have mentioned I already have a PC-V and plan on having RC Cycles do a tune for me.

Old 06-11-2015 | 09:49 PM
ScrapingFloorBoards
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ScrapingFloorBoards
Below is a link to the stage 4 kit I'm looking at. You may be right about the heads not being mva's, I'm not positive. I would plan on reuseing the throttle body, maybe pushrods/lifters and heads. I'm unaware of any reasons this wouldn't work.
I just looked into it more. Your right. They are factory CNC ported heads.

Old 06-11-2015 | 11:54 PM
ScrapingFloorBoards
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
117" engines run very well.
From road tractor builds, to street scorchers.
S&S cams, Wood cams, Andrews cams, and Lieneweber cams have all been used here with various cylinder heads/throttle body, and/or carb configruations, along with a plethora of exhaust systems.
Built so many now that I've lost count.
FWIW, all of the work stays in-house on those.
Scott
The 117 is definitely the end goal. But it's going to be a while before I'm ready to get in the bottom end. If I could get a set of heads, a cam, bump up my compression and reuse those parts when I do the 117. That would be money well spent I'm thinking. But I really have no idea.

Old 06-11-2015 | 11:55 PM
ScrapingFloorBoards
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bologna
I've got a 2013 softail with a stage 4 103 (not a typical stage 4) I opted to ditch the SE stage 4 in favor of better head work, cam and Throttle body tgan offered in the Dealer kits. Dyno'd 122hp/120tq. Runs it's *** off no disapointments.
Are you running the stock Pistons still?

Old 06-12-2015 | 03:47 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior

The stage 4 race kit performs well, you can sell tuner that comes with it or get a rebate from the dealer, you will need 58mm air cleaner kit ( round model or heavy breather)

You would get around 105/105 upto around 115/115 depending on dyno machine hehehehehe, 259e an underrated cam and if you like racing it goes well,

the driveability, low speed riding, idling is a non-issue and tweaking the efi parameters of the tune is all thats needed, tuner can do that or do on computer

Last edited by mirrmu; 06-12-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-12-2015 | 05:28 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Originally Posted by ScrapingFloorBoards
The 117 is definitely the end goal. But it's going to be a while before I'm ready to get in the bottom end. If I could get a set of heads, a cam, bump up my compression and reuse those parts when I do the 117. That would be money well spent I'm thinking. But I really have no idea.
Our Stage III Super-Tour Heads support 117"s, and can be used with a 103".
Those along with a Wood 8, or T-Man .590 would work now, and also with the 117, for example.
Scott

Old 06-12-2015 | 11:09 AM
SUUIE
Road Master

Originally Posted by djl
Have two friends that have had dealer installed and tuned SE 103 Stage IV kits; one the race kit and one the street kit. Both had rideability issues and were disappointed with the results. Torque cam on late and bikes were almost unrideable below 3000rpms. The dealer tunes were the main reason why both builds had issues. One resolved the issue with a proper tune; peak numbers increased marginally but the big difference was the performance at partial throttle; the guy was very happy with the results but still wanted the torque to come in a bit earlier. The other guy resolve his issue by replacing the 259 with the S&S 585 and a retune; tuned by the same tuner. The guy is over the moon with the difference in performance.

I don't know what your goals are but having been there and done that, I would stick with a 107" build, good heads, larger throttle body, better cams and go for a 120/120 motor and not as hard on the bank account as a 117" motor. A 117" requires the lower unit to be pulled for case boring, Timken conversion and crank work; expensive. If you want a bigger, badder motor, spend a little more money and call the S&S guys up for one of their 124" motors.
Friends don't let friends...

Old 06-12-2015 | 11:24 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member

[QUOTE=Hillsidecycle.com;14107257]Our Stage III Super-Tour Heads support 117"s, and can be used with a 103".
Those along with a Wood 8, or T-Man .590 would work now, and also with the 117, for example.
Scott[/QUOTE
103 with the 590, compression, nice heads, and tb is what i have been looking myself. depending on funds and miles at the time i may bore my cylinders to 107. as always thats good info .....thanks scott.

Old 06-12-2015 | 11:38 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by SUUIE
Friends don't let friends...
Hey, I tried to talk the both out it and offered to help with an aftermarket build but these were both new to Harleys and were reluctant to step outside the Harley box. Both were offered warranty protection from the dealers, so it was a hard sell. They both now call me whenever they are considering a modification, even a tire change; they don't call the dealer.

Old 06-12-2015 | 03:35 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
Hey, I tried to talk the both out it and offered to help with an aftermarket build but these were both new to Harleys and were reluctant to step outside the Harley box. Both were offered warranty protection from the dealers, so it was a hard sell. They both now call me whenever they are considering a modification, even a tire change; they don't call the dealer.
I thought for quite awhile about the warranty deal....said f___ it.

Quick Reply: Fm 107 vs stage 4 103 (no brainer right?)