Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

09 Harley Electra Glide won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 07:57 PM
GBrown23
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Harley Electra Glide won't start

09 electra glide has been running and operating perfect. The other day i started it up and started to head for work. Well it shut off just as I shifted to 2nd. Will not start back up, it will turn over strong, fuel pump runs like it should, no check engine light on, did the Diag and it gave no codes, went over everything to make sure it was all plugged in, checked the fuses (good), and today I went and bought a crankshaft position sensor after reading some posts on here (didnt work). Any ideas?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:12 PM
Baird
Club Member
Received 1,105 Likes on 456 Posts

Fuel gauge incorrect and you are out of fuel? can you remove a plug and check for spark? compression test for stuck valve. Pass these then you should start. Are you smelling fuel out of the pipes?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:20 PM
GBrown23
4th Gear

Fuel gauge is messed up but it has a full tank, just filled it actually with high test non ethnol. But rode it to daughters ball game after. Next morning it happened. I have not checked for spark yet and unsure the best way to do it. I read a thread saying something along the lines of not doing it correctly could ruin the ecm.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:32 PM
GBrown23
4th Gear

I do smell fuel out of pipes

Old 05-18-2015, 09:01 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,100 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by GBrown23
I do smell fuel out of pipes
try starting it and then pull a plug to see if it's wet, if so that means your not getting a good enough spark or no spark at all.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Baird
Fuel gauge incorrect and you are out of fuel? can you remove a plug and check for spark? compression test for stuck valve. Pass these then you should start. Are you smelling fuel out of the pipes?
The ECM will not throw spark if the plugs are out of the heads. Leave the plugs in the heads and test for spark with an inline tested or the small screwdriver in the boot/next to ground method. If you have a great spark, pull the plugs and see how/if wet they are.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:14 PM
BDHABT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a Power Commander?If you do,take it out of the loop,and hook up your harness to your computer,and see what happens.

Last year my bike ran like a champ,stopped at Walmart,then when I tried to restart,it just cranked.Took off the seat,disconnected the PC,and the bike fired right up.

Good luck.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:52 PM
GBrown23
4th Gear

Maybe a dumb question, power commanders i have seen usually had a seperate box plugged in. My dad said it has a power commander on it but its a seperate pigtail and I guess they flashed the ecm with it?!? I don't know. Can they do that or does the bike actually need that seperate box plugged in?

Old 05-21-2015, 06:52 PM
BDHABT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GBrown23
Maybe a dumb question, power commanders i have seen usually had a seperate box plugged in. My dad said it has a power commander on it but its a seperate pigtail and I guess they flashed the ecm with it?!? I don't know. Can they do that or does the bike actually need that seperate box plugged in?
I know mine is seperate;its sitting on a shelf downstairs.Dont know why I havent thrown it out yet.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:55 PM
GBrown23
4th Gear

Update: I used and inline spark detector and got spark. Plugs were not wet, so I tried spraying some fuel in the throttle body and it fired up. Fuel pump runs and continue to runs as I turn it over but NO fuel getting to plugs. ????

Quick Reply: 09 Harley Electra Glide won't start