Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Adjustable Pushrod choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015 | 04:02 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Djl, ....That's exactly how I had adjusted them with a 6500 rev limit. Not sure if I floated the valves or if I had piston slap and now I can't keep the lifters pumped up. Lots of noise especially at start up then it will go away and If I keep running eventually it'll pump up but a little while later it comes back again and this process keeps happening. I know that one lifter is no good and ordered a new set also lowered rev limit to 6k.
I forget what your motor configuration is but doubt that you need travel limited lifters. Don't know what valve springs you are running but even stock beehives pretty much control the valves at 6500 rpm and once there, the rev limiter kicks in and rpms fall off. I don't know what cam set you are running and that would also make a difference. I suppose you could have floated a valve with only .040" to bleed down to the limiter but if you had floated a valve, piston to valve contact would be likely and surely you would know if that had happened.

I run Woods lifters in my all bore 107" (122TQ/110HP) with TMan 600SM cams and rev limiter is set at 6800 rpms. Springs are AV&V double wound, not beehives. I forget the seat pressure but nothing radical. I hit the rev limiter nearly every time I get on the bike and I have never floated a valve.

What lifters are you running?

Old 04-14-2015 | 04:25 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
I forget what your motor configuration is but doubt that you need travel limited lifters. Don't know what valve springs you are running but even stock beehives pretty much control the valves at 6500 rpm and once there, the rev limiter kicks in and rpms fall off. I don't know what cam set you are running and that would also make a difference. I suppose you could have floated a valve with only .040" to bleed down to the limiter but if you had floated a valve, piston to valve contact would be likely and surely you would know if that had happened.

I run Woods lifters in my all bore 107" (122TQ/110HP) with TMan 600SM cams and rev limiter is set at 6800 rpms. Springs are AV&V double wound, not beehives. I forget the seat pressure but nothing radical. I hit the rev limiter nearly every time I get on the bike and I have never floated a valve.

What lifters are you running?
I am running S&S HL2T lifters. I put them in to alleviate the hot soak restart (high comp) I was also told that they would help with a little more power in the higher rpm range. When scott set up my heads he did so for a w8 cam with Beehive .600" springs. the cam which gave me .187" lift intake @ tdc and .060" valve to piston clearance but i had replaced the cam with an experimental cam ground by bob wood with same overall lift but change the duration on both intake and exhaust that also changed lift @ tdc intake to .203" which most likely changed my valve to piston clearance and the first time I really got on it I hit the rev limiter so fast (very surprised at the ramp)and when I grab 3rd there went my lifters, they collapsed they did how ever pump back up after about i minute at idle. not sure if it was valve float or slap. Now 1 is definitely bad.Thats why I'm hesitant to set the preload S&S's spec and would rather set to 1.5 to 2.0 full turns which will put me around .040" to .050" preload. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also the cam raised my dynamic compression considerable. I calculated it to be 206 and when I actually measured it hot, I got 220-225. by the way with the other cam (w8) 6500 was no problem...Thanx

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 04-14-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2015 | 11:51 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I am running S&S HL2T lifters. I put them in to alleviate the hot soak restart (high comp) I was also told that they would help with a little more power in the higher rpm range. When scott set up my heads he did so for a w8 cam with Beehive .600" springs. the cam which gave me .187" lift intake @ tdc and .060" valve to piston clearance but i had replaced the cam with an experimental cam ground by bob wood with same overall lift but change the duration on both intake and exhaust that also changed lift @ tdc intake to .203" which most likely changed my valve to piston clearance and the first time I really got on it I hit the rev limiter so fast (very surprised at the ramp)and when I grab 3rd there went my lifters, they collapsed they did how ever pump back up after about i minute at idle. not sure if it was valve float or slap. Now 1 is definitely bad.Thats why I'm hesitant to set the preload S&S's spec and would rather set to 1.5 to 2.0 full turns which will put me around .040" to .050" preload. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also the cam raised my dynamic compression considerable. I calculated it to be 206 and when I actually measured it hot, I got 220-225. by the way with the other cam (w8) 6500 was no problem...Thanx
Can't help you much with TL lifters; don't believe the added trickery to set the pre load is worth the extra effort. I think one can accomplish the same results with conventional travel lifters adjusted to mitigate against hot restarts.

Some adjust by setting preload from the top and some from the bottom. As I understand the hydraulics, adjusting from the top is more effective in mitigating against valve float and less so against hot restarts and adjusting from the bottom visa-versa but, since I have never used TL limiters, I can't say for sure.
WFO Larry adjusts TL lifters by lengthening the pushrods until the valve is open then slowly back off the pushrod until the valve closes and there is no resistance on the pushrod; you can spin the pushrod with your fingers at this point. From there, back off a 1/4 turn; lock down and done.

Seems to me if hot restart assistance is the goal with TL limited lifters, the more you limit the amount of piston travel from bleed down, the intake timing event is delayed and compression won't get unruly on start ups.

Sorry, the explanation is lacking as is my knowledge of TL lifters. All of the above, with the exception of WFO Larry's approach to adjusting TL limiters, is simply me postulating and putting on display my limited understanding of the hydraulics involved.

You might want to get inside that cylinder with a bore scope and look for contact marks.

Old 04-19-2015 | 08:32 PM
rgr357
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by target64
I have set 5 builds at 3.5 turns @ 24tpi & 4.5 turns @ 32 tpi with a preload between .140-.150 per hillside's and bob woods recommendations using woods directional & S&S premium lifters with no concerns.
Originally Posted by Hillsidecyclecom
As the engine grows at full operating temps the pre-load becomes less, so, to try to insure quiet valvetrain operation we have now, for years, loaded the lifter to .140-.150".
The day-in/day-out 6-7 day work week aggressive-ramp cam installs over the past 2 decades have taught this method to us, and now it is used on all here.
Remember this, while you folks are out riding your bikes....................we are in here working on them, sun, rain, snow, daylight/darkness, and all the time, seeking new and improved ways to address issues.
Scott
Finally had a chance to set this and take a ride... Original SE Adj PRs say to set at 2.5 turns I went w/3.5 as recomended and it very noticably quited things down again.

I feel much better about it after this time out w/ the only noise comming on after after a get on it and then let off and cruise, seems like the lifter clatter picks up a bit, but if I start to get into it, quites down again. Unfortunaly Im not going to get much ride time for the next 4weeks other than short trips.