Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Adjustable Pushrod choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015 | 09:00 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Don't go more than 3 turns. That is around .112 iirc. At 3 turns my gatermans are really quiet. When I reinstall after my powder coating gets done I will go 3 turns again. Don't let anyone talk you into loctite on them. If you need to readjust or pull them later it is more of a burden than it is worth. If that jamnut is nice and tight they won't go anywhere.

Old 04-13-2015 | 09:20 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by slyedog
Don't go more than 3 turns. That is around .112 iirc. At 3 turns my gatermans are really quiet. When I reinstall after my powder coating gets done I will go 3 turns again. Don't let anyone talk you into loctite on them. If you need to readjust or pull them later it is more of a burden than it is worth. If that jamnut is nice and tight they won't go anywhere.
I have set 5 builds at 3.5 turns @ 24tpi & 4.5 turns @ 32 tpi with a preload between .140-.150 per hillside's and bob woods recommendations using woods directional & S&S premium lifters with no concerns.

Old 04-14-2015 | 01:30 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by target64
I have set 5 builds at 3.5 turns @ 24tpi & 4.5 turns @ 32 tpi with a preload between .140-.150 per hillside's and bob woods recommendations using woods directional & S&S premium lifters with no concerns.
Why run such a heavy preload? Now I do know woods cams are known to be noisy. Just seems like if one goes too much over .100 then may as well run travel limiters and be like solids. The gatermans were likely fine at 2.5 turns but felts like it would be wise to go tad more with my cams. Just curious as to reducing the hydraulic capacity of the lifter well over more than half of the travel is going to do benefit wise, and longevity of the lifter itself.

Old 04-14-2015 | 05:10 AM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by slyedog
Why run such a heavy preload? Now I do know woods cams are known to be noisy. Just seems like if one goes too much over .100 then may as well run travel limiters and be like solids. The gatermans were likely fine at 2.5 turns but felts like it would be wise to go tad more with my cams. Just curious as to reducing the hydraulic capacity of the lifter well over more than half of the travel is going to do benefit wise, and longevity of the lifter itself.
all builds had cams with lifts @.575 or greater and on a warmed up engine the valve train definitely runs quieter. as far as longevity the s&s premiums in my build have 17,000 on them with no concerns yet.

Old 04-14-2015 | 08:26 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

As the engine grows at full operating temps the pre-load becomes less, so, to try to insure quiet valvetrain operation we have now, for years, loaded the lifter to .140-.150".
The day-in/day-out 6-7 day work week aggressive-ramp cam installs over the past 2 decades have taught this method to us, and now it is used on all here.
Remember this, while you folks are out riding your bikes....................we are in here working on them, sun, rain, snow, daylight/darkness, and all the time, seeking new and improved ways to address issues.
Scott

Old 04-14-2015 | 08:51 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

What if you are running travel limiters of .100" would you set your preload to a max of .040"?

Old 04-14-2015 | 01:10 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
What if you are running travel limiters of .100" would you set your preload to a max of .040"?
I think that would depend on why one is running travel limited lifters. The true reason for limiters is to reduce the amount of lifter piston extension if valve float should occur. With the high valve spring pressures on Harleys this is next to impossible unless you spin them over 7k. Where limiters are the most effective is in limiting the amount of lifter bleed on shut down to minimize the change in intake valve timing from a bled lifter. This prevents the compression from getting too high for restarts, especially when hot. This applies mostly to high compression motors with high lift cams (.650"+) and high pressure valve springs. There is not real reason to run limiters in a garden variety build such as most of those discussed on this forum. Not suggesting one should not run limiters in the less challenging operating environments, just saying it is not necessary and non-limited lifters will carry the day.

Check out the illustration from S&S.

http://www.sscycle.com/uploads/featu...ment-guide.pdf

Old 04-14-2015 | 02:52 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by Hillsidecyclecom
As the engine grows at full operating temps the pre-load becomes less, so, to try to insure quiet valvetrain operation we have now, for years, loaded the lifter to .140-.150".
How do you measure this? Set the pushrod so its snug, then expand it so it pushes the lifter down another .140-.150? I'm using Fuel Moto pushrods if it matters.

Old 04-14-2015 | 03:10 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Djl, ....That's exactly how I had adjusted them with a 6500 rev limit. Not sure if I floated the valves or if I had piston slap and now I can't keep the lifters pumped up. Lots of noise especially at start up then it will go away and If I keep running eventually it'll pump up but a little while later it comes back again and this process keeps happening. I know that one lifter is no good and ordered a new set also lowered rev limit to 6k.

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 04-14-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2015 | 03:53 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Originally Posted by Reindeer
How do you measure this? Set the pushrod so its snug, then expand it so it pushes the lifter down another .140-.150? I'm using Fuel Moto pushrods if it matters.
Yes. The way you measure the adjustment is by the number of full turn or partial turn (flats) as the attached chart illustrates. The FM pushrods are actually Smith Brothers and, IIRC, are 32 TPI and would require 4.47, call it 4.5, turns to set preload at .140".

Attached Files
File Type: docx
pushrod TPI.docx (10.0 KB, 101 views)

Quick Reply: Adjustable Pushrod choices