Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

95" build Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:54 PM
Azgunner
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW the target line on the AFR graph is just a point of reference, it has nothing to do with your altitude or baro pressure. The #s on the left represent the percentage of air to fuel ratio. Typically most tuners shoot for an AFR of around 13.5 to 1.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:10 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by dynawg1
BTW - djl, in order for a ~13 target line to be correct, you would have to be located at over 3000 ft above sea level if I understand all of this correctly.
That "target line" is your AFR line; like Azgunner points out, nothing to do with altitude or barometric pressure. Your AFR from 5000 up looks to be about 13.8 which is isn't that bad and not that far from the 13.5 Azbgunner makes reference to. Think about how much time your motor will spend above 5000rpms compared to how much time your motor will spend between 3000-4000rpms.

As I previously suggested and now Azgunner has confirmed, drop the main a size. All the fuel could be washing down cylinder walls; not good, particularly in the early life of a new motor.

I think you have a plan now. Drop the main, change the accel pump and get her on the dyno to fine tune WOT and partial throttle.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:18 PM
dynawg1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Azgunner
I would drop the main jet one size lower. You are way to rich from 3000 to 4000 rpm. Did they do any cruising AFR reading at various RPMs & MPHs? That is more important than your WOT for now until you get it tuned.

You could potentially get your WOT AFR perfect & be way too lean or rich at your cruising/partial throttle positions which is where you normally ride.

For most builds the Mikuni is known to be pretty close out of the box as far as jetting. You can download the Mikuni tuning manual if you don't have one already. As was mentioned before I would also drop the accellerator pump from the stock #70 to a #50. You can also adjust when the acc. pump comes on & turns off.
Well, I guess that I either need a smaller or a bigger main jet (see prior posts). Good news is that they are cheap and easy to change out.

I have studied the Mikuni tuning manual and the bike passes all of the specified riding tests for pilot/pilot screw (idle to 1/4 throttle), needle size and clip adjustment (steady, part throttle cruising and throttle response), and main jet (lack of surge when changing throttle from WTO to 7/8 throttle). The bike rides great, has excellent throttle response at all throttle positions, smooth cruise performance, no coughing either cold or hot, easy starting, etc. Just has that nasty rich dip in the AFR from 2500-5200 that's probably lowering the torque performance...

Last edited by dynawg1; 03-04-2015 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:36 PM
dynawg1
Tourer

Thanks to all of you guys for your inputs. We will get it figured out.

Last edited by dynawg1; 03-04-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:01 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Good info, Scott. I have seen the graphs on Target64's build and they are very impressive. Do you remember what the numbers were for that 107 build?
Tuned at Thayers Sales & Service, Corfu, NY, inovator and manufacturer of the 3 stage oil pump,.........well north of 120 on both hp and torque.
Target swung in here on his way home that very same day within a couple hours of this tune, and numbers were VERY close on our Dynojet 150, that, in certain sewing circles, is supposed to be used for a boat anchor........hehehe.
Scott

Old 03-04-2015, 04:06 PM
dynawg1
Tourer

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Actually I did a 5th and 6th gear pull on my 98 and the numbers went down and they also came in later in rpm...... so I can only imagine that a 4th gear pull would be inflated....

Found this on another forum:

Attached Thumbnails 95" build Dyno Results-4th5th6th.jpg  
Old 03-04-2015, 04:27 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,470 Likes on 3,646 Posts
Default Not Knockin ya Bro....

You have a gorgeous ride and a very nice build. when you get that AFR tuned in I think you're gonna see very good numbers in 5Th... LOL
Why no 2-1? I just looked up that cam, nice , I bet your torque will really come on at 3800. Can't wait to see the new sheets.. Good luck man....

Found this on another forum:

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 03-04-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:44 PM
dynawg1
Tourer

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
You have a gorgeous ride and a very nice build. when you get that AFR tuned in I think you're gonna see very good numbers in 5Th... LOL
Why no 2-1? I just looked up that cam, nice , I bet your torque will really come on at 3800. Can't wait to see the new sheets.. Good luck man....
Thanks hotrod. That's a super nice EVO you have as well.

I will get the dip tuned out one way or another. Can't find a local indy with a Mikuni tuners kit or any jets etc. and having a hassle ordering jets and pump nozzles (minimum order of 4pc for each jet, who needs 4 of the same jet?). Probably will buy the tuners kit, but #50 pump nozzles don't come with the tuners kit. Go figure. Still having big fun riding with the new motor the way that it is now.

I have spent a lot of time researching pipes and ran several different ones years ago. Have a RB Racing LSR 2>1 and a Pro Pipe in the attic. Both produce monster midrange torque but don't deliver as well as the Pro Streets on the top. Can't live with that. Just my priority and my preference.

The Pro Streets are the Rodney Dangerfield of pipes: delivers a great performance every time, but don't get no respect.

That being said, I would love to find a pipe that delivers both the torque of the RB pipe and top end of the Pro Streets THAT FITS A 99-06 DYNA. Most of the newer pipes don't. The one possible candidate that I know of is the D&D Fatcat, but it is HEAVY & expensive, and I personally don't care for the look. I will keep searching though.

Last edited by dynawg1; 03-04-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:07 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,470 Likes on 3,646 Posts
Default pipes....

Thanx for the compliment....I would have to say that out of all the upgrades we make to our bikes, choosing the right pipe has got to be the hardest. Sound , looks and performance make it really tough to choose especially in the winter. It's not like we can go to a local rally to look, listen and converse in person but that might just have to wait until better weather comes around.
2nd that on the D&D, I don't like the way the collector looks but everyone has their preference. I would like to see more sheets with the Bassani like this one
http://www.bassani.com/part/12121J.
I've heard sound clip comparisons on Youtube and they do sound pretty good but I don't think I would do anything till I can see or hear them live. Gonna have to wait till a Dyno days come around.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:25 AM
dynawg1
Tourer

I could live with the looks of this one:

http://www.bassani.com/part/13212J

Concerns are: the rear headpipe transferring heat to the carb & cam chest and possible scraping. Also, seems like I read where this "short" version of the road rage does not make power like the one in the link you provided (softail pipe) with the longer end section.

Here's a HotBike article on the pipe you linked: http://www.bassani.com/downloads/pdf...bike_jan09.pdf

Last edited by dynawg1; 03-05-2015 at 08:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 95" build Dyno Results