Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

1.7 rockers on a S&S 585

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:51 AM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
That's a good way to look at it.. Here is another.. If the valve were to open instantaneously, then yes a higher rocker ratio would only increase lift.. The problem is that it takes time to lift the valve. Hence the 0.053 reference (It's tappet lift BTW not valve).. Since it takes time to lift the valve every point on the valve lift curve is higher. If you plot the 2 curves, the curve with the higher rocker ration will have higher lift for every point above 0 lift.. Hence it will appear a little fatter if you measure the width at say 0.1 inches valve lift.. It's not much but enough to make a 2-3 degree difference if you compare valve lifts at 0.086 which is the 0.053 valve tappet lift for a 1.625 rocker. To get the same valve lift on a 1.725 rocker you would need to check tappet lift at 0.050 inches.
I get that the lift will be higher along the path of the lobe. I just don't get the additional duration since the valve won't be starting or ending that lift any sooner or later. The higher rocker would only serve to change the shape of the lift curve and not the timing of it. Only way that it works to change the timing in my mind is if the point of measuring the lift and duration is off the base circle and somewhere along the travel.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Stych
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, last try. That would be true IF duration was measured from zero lift. It is NOT. Duration is measured from a nominal VALVE lift (.053"). With an increased rocker ratio, upon opening the valve gets to that amount of lift SOONER, and upon closing, reaches that point LATER. Hence the change in duration/timing.

Stych out

Old 02-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,957 Likes on 4,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Stych
OK, last try. That would be true IF duration was measured from zero lift. It is NOT. Duration is measured from a nominal VALVE lift (.053"). With an increased rocker ratio, upon opening the valve gets to that amount of lift SOONER, and upon closing, reaches that point LATER. Hence the change in duration/timing.

Stych out
Correct but again it is Lifter lift and not valve.. Technically cam timing (and lift) does not change but valve timing does.. (as does valve lift)

Old 02-03-2015, 02:38 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,422 Likes on 3,622 Posts

So then your basically saying that from 0-.053" its all valve train preload and actual valve lift does not occur until the valve train is preloaded which is at .053" but with a longer rocker the actual valve preload was satisfied @ or around .050 and that .003" is enough to make a 1-2* difference in the duration. I hope I'm getting this because it truly interests me. Not trying to be apita. New territory, Thanx.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:54 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,957 Likes on 4,033 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
So then your basically saying that from 0-.053" its all valve train preload and actual valve lift does not occur until the valve train is preloaded which is at .053" but with a longer rocker the actual valve preload was satisfied @ or around .050 and that .003" is enough to make a 1-2* difference in the duration. I hope I'm getting this because it truly interests me. Not trying to be apita. New territory, Thanx.
First off you are not a PITA as you are asking a legitimate question..

You are basically correct except that your assumption (in bold) is not correct.. Typically the valve lash / preload / flex and lifter bleed is probably dome in the first 10 to 20 thou of lift on lifting the seat.. Maybe a little less.. It depends on stiffness of parts, mass and spring rate. This is in theory as I've not measured it. Take some pricey equipment and you can see some of it on you-tube.. Still the start ramp preloads train slowly up to about 0.020 lift, then accelerates the valve quickly as allowed by the design (seen and measured this). The whole reason for the 0.053 tappet lift check point is to get beyond the ramps and more on the slope of the cam as the needle on an indicator moves faster, the measurement can be more precise. On the opening side, you could easily make the measurement at a lower lift up as typically the dropping side needs more set down ramp to help take up the lash caused by the collapsing lifter.. Remember a lifter is nothing more then a lash limiting device that start to bleed down as soon as the pushrod starts to increase force on the lifter cup.