Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Idle fluctuates

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Dsrt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle fluctuates

Ok, so here's the deal. This has me baffled.

02 Road King
EFI
Adjustable pushrods

Bike has been running great for years. I started hearing a whirring sound that I knew was one or both of my cam chain tensioners going out.

Pulled the exhaust off, the air cleaner and backing plate, and cam plate out. Replaced both cams with new stock cams (one cam lobe had some wear due to the adjustable push rods being out of adjustment), both outer cam bearings and both cam tensioners.

Put everything back together and now when I do the first cold start, it starts fine. RPM's ramp up to about 1500-1800 rpm for a few seconds (always did that on a cold start) then drops down to it's normal 1100 rpms. At this point everything seems to be running great.

Within a minute, once the engine is hot, the idle starts fluctuating between 900-1100 rpms consistently until eventually the idle will drop too low to stay running. As soon as the engine has cooled off, I can repeat the process.

There are no error codes. I tried starting at stopping it 25 times to hopefully get the ECM to recognize the correct idle/fuel/air (once again, not sure if this actually does anything).

This has be baffled because nothing else seems out of the ordinary.

If there's any questions, please feel free to ask. I'm not a great mechanic but I do my own wrenching and can fix most anything once I know what the problem is.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Dsrt; 12-12-2014 at 05:50 PM.