Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Stage IV (yawn)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 03:43 PM
SleepyBagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage IV (yawn)

No one ever accused me of being the sharpest tool, but I know what I want and hope to find a happy medium here.

I expected a little more from the Stage IV Kit installed in my 2015 RGS. I am a stickler about the sleeper toys I have and like to keep my new RG looking all stock, here is my idea.

What I have now 103 air cooled
Stage IV
SE Breather
4" Rineharts

Remove the CATS
Woods 888 or 999
TTS
Dyno

I'd like to see (as in feel) a bike that looks all stock but most other bikes cannot keep up :-) Something like 105/105 would be nice but more is always better :-)

Let the ideas, insults but mostly the information flow.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:17 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Your stage 4 should be all that. Maybe a better dyno is needed. I havent seen anyone with the 999,have you?

Old 11-30-2014, 04:40 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cdonis
Your stage 4 should be all that. Maybe a better dyno is needed. I havent seen anyone with the 999,have you?

That's what i thought. Jim G's stage 4 is up there.

OP Jim G created a thread about his Stage 4 upgrade. He had it dyno tuned at the dealer and it didn't run that great. He took it to a different tuner and it performed in the range you are looking for.

His bike has a "B" engine and a really fat back tire.... Yours may do a little better.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:54 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pigbacon

OP Jim G created a thread about his Stage 4 upgrade. He had it dyno tuned at the dealer and it didn't run that great. He took it to a different tuner and it performed in the range you are looking for.

His bike has a "B" engine and a really fat back tire.... Yours may do a little better.
All true!

Old 11-30-2014, 05:21 PM
SleepyBagger
Cruiser

All it has is the HD Stage IV download and some very flat spots on the power band. The 888 is amazing (rode my buddy's stock 103 with 888's and tune WOW). The 999 might go good with the SE heads, 58mm TB and 10.5's.......sure like to know.

Yes he had his tuned and that could be the trick, but IF I tank the motor the warranty could be void if they find a the footprint on the ECM.

Curious was the Dealer Dyno just a download I'll go back and check his thread.

Thanks guys.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain

I believe they put it on a dyno and tuned it but they didn't tune it correctly. Not just a download.

Is yours just a download? If so you need to find a "Competent" dyno tuner and get the power you are missing.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:33 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member

jim g went into great detail. Little long but worth the read for what you are experiencing. How was the 888 at low rpm in that stock 103, or was most of the wow factor from 3000-5000 rpm.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:44 PM
SleepyBagger
Cruiser

I believe they put it on a dyno and tuned it but they didn't tune it correctly. Not just a download.

Is yours just a download? If so you need to find a "Competent" dyno tuner and get the power you are missing.
Yes just the cookie cutter download.
A Dyno is on my list once I am sure I have the cams and exhaust flow right.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:50 PM
SleepyBagger
Cruiser

jim g went into great detail. Little long but worth the read for what you are experiencing. How was the 888 at low rpm in that stock 103, or was most of the wow factor from 3000-5000 rpm.
His stocker (2 into 1 + heavy breather) with 888's, Power Commander & Dyno was lazy off idle but came alive at 3K in near 2 stroke fashion and pulled hard through 6K I was spooked when the sweeps arrived sooner then expected.

My Stage IV can't keep up :-(

Old 11-30-2014, 05:51 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain

What cams did you install with the stage 4?

Quick Reply: Stage IV (yawn)