Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Stage IV (yawn)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 12:30 PM
SleepyBagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
Ok with that clarified if your bike isnt running like it should then no doubt it needs a dyno tune. Even a good fuel map from a very good dyno tuner needs some auto tuning from my experience. I wouldn't think a Harley download would be sufficient. I bet if your bought some dyno time from a good tuner you would be happy as a pig in sh#t
I see in your signature you decatted your head pipe?

Old 12-01-2014, 08:23 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Sleepy - where on the left coast are you located? Maybe I missed something. Did you do a Stage IV without a dyno tune?

Last edited by dforeid; 12-01-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:59 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SleepyBagger
Talked to the top tuner in the area, he can get 100HP and the advertised 103 torque using the stock headpipes.........but nothing more. By adding a 2-1 or power duals he sees at least 10 more HP the same torque and up to 116HP from these Stage IV's. Air intake, head pipes, mufflers all make changes results vary motor to motor.
If you don't mind me asking, where are you located in CA. I'm having a stage IV installed later this month and the dealer is doing the factory download with the SE Tuner that comes with the kit.(09 SG 49state installing the race only kit) He doesn't have a dyno so to get the most out of the kit I will need a dyno tune. With the factory tune he's telling me I should see 110hp115tq.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:29 AM
SleepyBagger
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dforeid
Sleepy - where on the left coast are you located? Maybe I missed something. Did you do a Stage IV without a dyno tune?
Bay Area. Yes Stage IV without a dyno. A dyno voids the warranty, the whole reason I went with a dealer installed performance package was I always carry the extended warranty on my bikes. I could have all the power for a lot less money going cams, breather, pipes and a tune but wanted the motor covered too.

Originally Posted by bald1der
If you don't mind me asking, where are you located in CA. I'm having a stage IV installed later this month and the dealer is doing the factory download with the SE Tuner that comes with the kit.(09 SG 49state installing the race only kit) He doesn't have a dyno so to get the most out of the kit I will need a dyno tune. With the factory tune he's telling me I should see 110hp115tq.
If you can get your bike to Bob @ RC Cycles in Hayward, CA he'll get everything out of that kit. I am Bay Area. FYI: The download is a one size fits all, it can't hurt to have them run the program but take it in for a real tune once you have 1K miles.

Last edited by SleepyBagger; 12-02-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:33 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

If you're now running a Stage IV without a Dyno tune you better start saving your money right now for a new engine in the near future. A Dyno tune done by a HD dealer will not void the warranty on the bike. You don't need to put 1000 miles on the bike before you have it tuned properly. I cannot understand your thinking. You pay over $20,000 for the bike then dump $$$ into the kit but won't spend another 400 on a proper tune? Something is rotten in Denmark here Peeps

Old 12-03-2014, 08:56 AM
SleepyBagger
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
If you're now running a Stage IV without a Dyno tune you better start saving your money right now for a new engine in the near future. A Dyno tune done by a HD dealer will not void the warranty on the bike. You don't need to put 1000 miles on the bike before you have it tuned properly. I cannot understand your thinking. You pay over $20,000 for the bike then dump $$$ into the kit but won't spend another 400 on a proper tune? Something is rotten in Denmark here Peeps
A dyno at a HD dealer is like going to McDonalds for a hamburger. You already accused me of not knowing the difference between a Stage IV download and a Stage IV engine kit, now I am cheap f*uck? How about you stay off my thread and go insult someone else.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:34 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by bald1der
He doesn't have a dyno so to get the most out of the kit I will need a dyno tune. With the factory tune he's telling me I should see 110hp115tq.
Really? Haven't seen those numbers from a Stage IV kit tuned by a dealer yet; everyone I have seen has had lower numbers and starting/rideability issues.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:38 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by SleepyBagger
A dyno voids the warranty, the whole reason I went with a dealer installed performance package was I always carry the extended warranty on my bikes. I could have all the power for a lot less money going cams, breather, pipes and a tune but wanted the motor covered too.
Four dealers in my area and three send their Stage IV kitted bikes to a local tuner for a dyno tune; two because they don't have a dyno and one because their tuner has not had a lot of success in tuning the Stage IV kits and producing the advertised numbers. So, if your dealer is telling you that a dyno tune will void your warranty, you need to challenge the dealer on that point.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:11 PM
SleepyBagger
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
Four dealers in my area and three send their Stage IV kitted bikes to a local tuner for a dyno tune; two because they don't have a dyno and one because their tuner has not had a lot of success in tuning the Stage IV kits and producing the advertised numbers. So, if your dealer is telling you that a dyno tune will void your warranty, you need to challenge the dealer on that point.
I am at the point of having the bike tuned and letting the dealer forget I ever mentioned it and crossing that bridge if and when it comes. I have learned how much the CAT holds back the potential and the tune itself hence I may just add V&H Power Duals for all the power the SIV Kit contains.

Thanks for the support.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:59 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ya I decatted the header. I'm deciding on a new header now. Either s&s power tuned or rush premium duals I think. Did you have a question about the decatted header?

Quick Reply: Stage IV (yawn)