Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

15 RG- 254 cams? Dealer installed, mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014 | 08:05 PM
cleanimages
|
Road Captain
Default 15 RG- 254 cams? Dealer installed, mistake?

I searched but couldn't find exact answer... I'm new to changing cams, and didn't plan on it today!!
Purchased a 2015 road glide. Ordered a set of push black rod covers and went today to see bike. tech said- you will love the new cams.
Long story short, push rod covers not installed mistake made and they installed 254 cams!!!

On a new HO 103, is this actually hurting the performance? Stock ho103 the hd website says 105 tq.

Working with dealer on price due to their mistake, but I didn't think of performance part till I researched tonight.

Will have air cleaner and better 2-1 exhaust. Should I be happy about this cam mistake? Will it be any different than if They left stock?

Thank you!

Old 11-18-2014 | 09:16 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member

you are probably losing a little tq off the bottom, but gaining thereafter. jmo i am no pro. I guess you have to really think about how you ride. Tour 2 up loaded, solo, and so on. Then you would have a better idea of what cam would suit you. How did you like it stock? Should have ran pretty good with just a nice full exhaust system, a/c and a REAL tune.

Old 11-18-2014 | 09:46 PM
cleanimages
|
Road Captain

That's one of the problems... Bike only had 3 miles!

It was brand new. Getting some black powder coating, exhaust and accessories put on, bars installed.

Tech said cams will be great- before I told him I only paid for cam cover!! He then said he installed 254...

I ride mostly solo. Regular around town rides and short day trips.
Is new cams on a new motor a bad idea? Dealer should know this... I would think! And they never asked which cams to add. Maybe the 254 box was mixed in with my stuff!

Old 11-18-2014 | 09:53 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain

I don't believe I would pay them anything. As a matter of fact I don't know I would take the bike if I didn't ask for the cams. I would make a stink over it and they would either have lost their money or they would give me a new bike.

Old 11-18-2014 | 10:26 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member

3 MILES, HOLY CRAP. pIGBACON MAY BE ONTO SOMETHING, GOOD LUCK BROTHER......

Old 11-18-2014 | 10:42 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior

Hi,

Just take it and go riding, whooosh off you go

Yeah bang counter, huff n puff at them

Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 11-18-2014 | 10:54 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
I don't believe I would pay them anything. As a matter of fact I don't know I would take the bike if I didn't ask for the cams. I would make a stink over it and they would either have lost their money or they would give me a new bike.
This.

Especially with only 3 miles on it I would be beyond pissed. I wouldn't pay a dime for the cams or labor involved. If I kept the bike I would push for a free SE race tuner (or whatever the F they are calling it now) as well because the bike will now need a tune.

Old 11-18-2014 | 11:42 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
This.

Especially with only 3 miles on it I would be beyond pissed. I wouldn't pay a dime for the cams or labor involved. If I kept the bike I would push for a free SE race tuner (or whatever the F they are calling it now) as well because the bike will now need a tune.
Well you definetly need the bike tuned now so what are they going to do about that?

Old 11-19-2014 | 06:19 AM
cleanimages
|
Road Captain

We were going to do a tuner and Dyno already, however not sure what the dealer will do to fix this. The service/parts guy asked to wait till today when the boss is in.
Would there be a difference w the 254 since stockhigh output 103 already seems to be close to that anyway? Or am I wrong?

Old 11-19-2014 | 09:21 AM
martin10
Road Warrior

I would rather have the stock cams. The 254's come on too late in the rpm band. Hurt the bottom end. Also, I saw a dyno chart done by a dealer where they changed out the stock HO cams with 255's and basically saw no difference. So the stock HO cams are pretty damn good. Don't settle for something you dont want.

Quick Reply: 15 RG- 254 cams? Dealer installed, mistake?