Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

TC88 Cam tentioner after replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 12:14 PM
sskimber
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC88 Cam tentioner after replacement?

So I have heard a lot about replacing the Cam tentioners and have some questions.

Has anyone how replaced the OEM tensioners with the hydrolic type had any isssues later?
Do they wear out?

I know when I replace the tensioners many suggest new cams, but my bije is stock, so my thought was tentioners and air filter, pipes and tuners. Any problem with this approch?

Thanks

Old 11-05-2014, 01:06 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

No problems with that approach. Take a look at the CYCO tensioners as a way to overcome the issues with the OEM tensioners and save your self some money; no need to convert to hydraulic tensioners but, if you have the $$ and want to go that route, there are no issues with the hydraulic tensioners to be concerned about.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:12 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sskimber
So I have heard a lot about replacing the Cam tentioners and have some questions.

Has anyone how replaced the OEM tensioners with the hydrolic type had any isssues later?
Do they wear out?

I know when I replace the tensioners many suggest new cams, but my bije is stock, so my thought was tentioners and air filter, pipes and tuners. Any problem with this approch?

Thanks
I went with hydraulic on my TC88. I used the 96/103 cam plate, tensioners, oil pump and conversion cams. All HD parts except the cams. I really like this set-up and have had no problems, but I only have about 6,000 miles on it so far.

You can keep your bike stock if you like, but if you have the cam plate out, you may as well replace the cams as there's no additional labor involved and it makes the bike much more fun to ride.

Even if you don't replace the cams, it's worthwhile to change the inner cam bearings to full compliment bearings (B148's). They are a weak point, and can do lots of damage when they fail.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:59 PM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine with the Cyco's about a year and a half ago. I heard a noise and decided to check them. I found the shoes in ok shape but the inner cam bearing had gone bad and spun on the cam shaft. I went with slightly used andrews 21 cams and adjustable push rods. I did the work myself and only spent about $600 including the tools I needed.

I am planning to inspect the Cyco's this winter when I go to 96" cylinders.