Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Engine Identification

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 05:48 PM
cavemansean
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Identification

I have a screamin eagle engine on my bike and I have severe engine vibration.
For all those engine genius folks I need some help.
I wanted to do a complete breakdown and replace all needed seal and gaskets
And necessary parts. The engine has 60000 on it and the build was done at
32000 miles. All help would be appreciated.i lost the build sheet.
2001 fxstd

Old 11-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,626 Likes on 2,733 Posts

I'm guessing you feel it with the clutch pulled and sitting still? That would eliminate the transmission, belt, pulleys, wheel bearings, tires and balance as the problem.

Is it at all rpm? Worse at idle, or as it revs higher? If the build was done right, should have done 32,000 without problems. Even 60K isn't engine damage mileage for most of them. Other things could cause vibration, too, even something as simple as a misfiring plug - that could have a few different causes, too. Fuel injection problems could do it. A broken/worn motor mount could. I'd sure check out those other things before tearing the engine down. That said, yeah, there's plenty of things in the engine and drive train that could do it.

Post more detail, like how it is at different rpms, does having a load on make a difference, and is it the same just sitting in neutral as when riding? Any strange noises? If you're lucky, someone might recognize a problem that can be solved without tearing the engine down.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:57 AM
cavemansean
Novice

Problem is definitely engine. It vibrated so bad it broke the gas tank tab and also cracked the oil tank. It is in all rpms at any speed.no funny sounds at all.it has gotten worse over time.Im thinking something maybe wrong with the engine balance at the crank .I wanted to identify the engine and maybe re work it to have more ***.I want more power with a lot less vibration.
The mounts are all good,the wheels are balanced the trans has no effect in or out of gear.I changed the clutch a year ago also the primary chain tensioner.the tensioner was broken but it was vibrating way before that.I don't know if the tensioner being broken can harm the engine.Im not sure how long it was broken.It probably did.
since I don't have the build sheets anymore I wanted to get as much info on the engine so I can perform a new build.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cavemansean
Problem is definitely engine. It vibrated so bad it broke the gas tank tab and also cracked the oil tank. It is in all rpms at any speed.no funny sounds at all.it has gotten worse over time.Im thinking something maybe wrong with the engine balance at the crank .I wanted to identify the engine and maybe re work it to have more ***.I want more power with a lot less vibration.
The mounts are all good,the wheels are balanced the trans has no effect in or out of gear.I changed the clutch a year ago also the primary chain tensioner.the tensioner was broken but it was vibrating way before that.I don't know if the tensioner being broken can harm the engine.Im not sure how long it was broken.It probably did.
since I don't have the build sheets anymore I wanted to get as much info on the engine so I can perform a new build.
Couple things come to mind, a really worn or damaged compensator or a crankshaft flywheel shift. The twin cams have pressed together crank/flywheel assemblies, and if one of the two flywheels shifts/slips around the crank, you can imagine the vibration. Short of removing the crank assembly, I don't know how to check for this, maybe someone else on the forum knows. It would pretty much mean replacing the whole assembly. Some folks that build Harley engines have the crankpin welded so this slipping can't happen. Excessive engine vibration can also take out the oil pump and a number of bearings. Sounds like you've got really excessive engine vibration. If a bearing is coming apart, might find metal shavings in the oil. I sure wouldn't ride it anymore till I found out what's going on.

Here's a link that explains what goes on when a crank assembly gets out of true.
http://www.thunderpress.net/editoria...2013/08/21.htm

Old 11-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Wide N Low 13
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm thinking the sprocket for the balancers has moved / slipped (the sprocket is pressed on the shaft it has no splines or key way) and the timing is off causing your vibrations. Good time to make your engine mods, since the cases are going to be split have the bottom end trued and welded. Then work your engine mods up from there. Let us know what you find and the mods you make.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:13 PM
cavemansean
Novice
Unhappy

Thanks for the article
It explains my problem
I guess I'll be changeling the crank assembly
Anyone have ideas of the best set up?

Old 11-07-2014, 10:54 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Been down this road with a few of my motors. My balancer sprocket spun 25* and it didn't vibrate much. First thing I would do assuming you eliminated all primary drive issues and the tranny is good I would check the runout on the crank. After that I would pull the heads and check the rods for a bad bearing. My Darkhorse crank took a **** on my about 6 months ago. Also look at S&S crank. If the crank is bad you're almost at the $$$ of a S&S 124 kit. You cant beat having a Timken bearing on the crank. One time I took my whole motor apart because of a bad vibration only to find nothing wrong. It was a worn out tranny. Sorry bud. Your turn in the barrel.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

soft 02 is way ahead of me in this game, sounds like the one to listen to.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:28 PM
cavemansean
Novice

These are the numbers I've come up with:
Screaming Eagle Intake pn: 29632-00
Harley Carburetor pn: 27932-99
Screaming Eagle Tuner pn: 32719-01A (Set at 6200 RPM)
The numbers on the heads that I can read, but may not be accurate because I cannot see them very well are:
Front Head pn: 18901-89
Read Head pn: 10902-??
Engine # BSY1032015

Harley Carb turned out to be 44mm big bore. I know what the Screaming Eagle tuner and intake part numbers are, but I cannot identify the head numbers. Does anyone know what the numbers could possibly be? I've done a google search and a search on the Screaming Eagle website but have come up with nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to find out what they are before tearing down the motor to replace the crank and balance.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:31 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

What was your runout on the crank?

Quick Reply: Engine Identification