Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Feel a knocking at low speed or coasting with new pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Feel a knocking at low speed or coasting with new pipes

I just installed a new V&H 2-1 exhaust.

I road tested it a couple times before taking it on my regular 30 mile commute. Other than the new-ness smoking off (previous post) and a much more pronounced shaking/vibrating of the bike at idle, I hadn't noticed anything unusual until my ride home today.

At low speed or coasting, I can feel knocking through the foot pegs and handlebars. I don't hear knocking, but can feel it. It stops when the bike stops. I can feel it with the clutch in and idling while moving, but not while stopped. I feel it in gear, but only at low speed.

The only change since the first road test is that I flashed a new powervision map before my ride today to address decel popping (which it did nicely).

I've checked every nut and bolt that I touched during the install...all nice and tight. I checked the heat shields and pipes for any signs of rubbing metal and found nothing.

Is there anything else I should check before bringing it in to the shop to be checked out?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Feel a knocking at low speed or coasting with new pipes-vh-imag0372.jpg  
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

You may want to also put this in the main Dyna area so more people will see it.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

First thing I would look at would be the front motor mount. I know your bike is kind of new but still worth checking. Then I would check the gas tank bolts, put a wrench on and see. Even a 1/4 turn can tighten it up.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:23 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would take a very close look at places where the pipes are close to footpeg mounts or other frame mounted objects. If there isn't enough clearance the heat shields or pipes can contact hard parts only when the engine is running, or only under load when the motor mounts flex more than they do at idle, making an intermittent knocking that can be felt thru pegs & bars. This can sometimes be difficult to find but is often the cause. I have had to grind extra clearance in a heat shield to clear floorboard mounts, for example. It wasn't touching until I let the clutch out... Then it felt like the motor was about to come apart, it knocked so hard! Yoy need more clearance than you might think.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:01 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the replies.

It looks as though I have plenty of clearance all around, and there are no shiny spots on the heat shields that would indicate contact.

I can feel the knocking with the engine off by bouncing in the saddle. Now I just need to find the source.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by northeastconfederate
I would take a very close look at places where the pipes are close to footpeg mounts or other frame mounted objects...
Winner, winner, Sheen-dinner!

Turns out the passenger footpeg mount (which required a spacer install and longer bolts), had come loose after one of the bolts sheared off in the frame. Guess I over-torqued it .

Anyway, my DIY exhaust job just cost me a lot more than I planned. The shop had to take apart the rear end in order to drill out the bolt and re-tap it.

Posting my dumb-***-ed-ness as a lesson for other wrench-challenged folk.

Attached Thumbnails Feel a knocking at low speed or coasting with new pipes-img951286.jpg   Feel a knocking at low speed or coasting with new pipes-img954833.jpg  
Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, sorry to hear it cost you, but glad you found it.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

welcome to club -- I have had more than my share of torque wrench incidents
Originally Posted by SquidHead
Winner, winner, Sheen-dinner!

Turns out the passenger footpeg mount (which required a spacer install and longer bolts), had come loose after one of the bolts sheared off in the frame. Guess I over-torqued it .

Anyway, my DIY exhaust job just cost me a lot more than I planned. The shop had to take apart the rear end in order to drill out the bolt and re-tap it.

Posting my dumb-***-ed-ness as a lesson for other wrench-challenged folk.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:36 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

deleted