Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

What would you do? Crank and cam plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 PM
N-gin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What would you do? Crank and cam plate

OK over the winter Ill be installing some cams and what not on my bike. I will also be sending the crank in to get trued and welded. I was thinking Revolution Performance cause they have a record of getting them to .005 or better for $200.
So I am looking at the cam plate for upgrade, might as well ?Right?.
So I know I have bushings instead of bearings for the outer cam bearings, and I want bearings. So I was searching and I could have sworn I saw that the cam plates came with oil pumps. I have only seen the cam plates for sale and the oil pumps separate lately. Are these covers really $400 for just a plate and another $400 for the oil pump???
I only want to upgrade to the bearings and get better oil pump, but the problem is SE says 8% increase as fueling says 30% increase. Does any one know of a cheaper way to get better oil pump and bearings for the cam plate. I really dont want to spend $900 for an oil pump and bearings
Any other ideas or sugestions? I have $400 left over.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:47 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,613 Posts

I believe your runout figure of .005" should be .0005"? Hoban Brothers will bring it in to .0001" but I think they will charge more than $200.

If the bike you are working on is the '09 Dyna in your profile, you don't need to change anything in the cam chest; you already have the high capacity pump, hydraulic tensioners and roller chains. Don't fret about the outer cam journals not riding in bearings. Cams and other rotating assemblies have been riding in parent material for a long time. I have converted my '02 FLHT 107" from gear driven cams, with bearings to the later cam plate setup and when I next upgrade my '05 FXSTD 95", I will convert that gear drive setup to the later cam plate/pump assembly.

The OEM setup is more than adequate for most street builds. The TC engines are sensitive to oil pressure. Believe it or not, too much oil pressure can cause other problems; keep it simple, save your money and stay with the OEM equipment.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:07 PM
N-gin
Road Captain

Interesting, I have a high volume pump allready coool. good to know

Im going to give hoban a call and see what they offer Thanks!

Old 09-10-2010, 04:53 AM
thewholehog
Road Master

what cams are you going for..... SE 204? :-)

Old 09-11-2010, 12:43 AM
N-gin
Road Captain

204 cams ill be going with, lil voice in the back of my head keeps saying w8, 54, or 211, or even 258, but then I remind myself of reality. Stock heads stock springs, stock pistons, little money, street ability, tune ability.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:33 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like djl already mentioned, the bushings will do just fine....If you decide to go with bearings you will have the have the cam cover line reamed to fit the bearings and that will require the R/H engine case to do it properly...There are TC's in the AHDRA Street-Pro Class running 8.8's in the 1/4-mile on C-25 gasoline...
http://www.ahdra.com/rulessp.html
http://www.ahdra.com/results/2010or.html

That's pretty damn impressive!!!

Old 09-11-2010, 04:42 AM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by N-gin
204 cams ill be going with, lil voice in the back of my head keeps saying w8, 54, or 211, or even 258, but then I remind myself of reality. Stock heads stock springs, stock pistons, little money, street ability, tune ability.
I would have agreed..... but now I've seen then results of the new woods 555 cam and it absolutely kicks ***! you should check out the testing Jamie at Fuelmoto has been doing with this cam in the bagger section. Just sayin.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:54 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by thewholehog
I would have agreed..... but now I've seen then results of the new woods 555 cam and it absolutely kicks ***! you should check out the testing Jamie at Fuelmoto has been doing with this cam in the bagger section. Just sayin.
TMans 555 should also get a look. I looked in the Touring Model section and did not see any posts; will do a search but haven't found anything yet.

Last edited by djl; 09-11-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:57 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by djl
TMans 555 should also get a look. I looked in the Touring Model section and did not see any posts; will do a search but haven't found anything yet.
Wow, the specs of the Tman's 555 cam looks almost identical to the Woods 555 cams....

Old 09-11-2010, 06:17 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by thewholehog
Wow, the specs of the Tman's 555 cam looks almost identical to the Woods 555 cams....
Think you might have that backwards....

The TMan 555's have been out for several months. In fact I talked to TR about them at the Expo, in February.

So.... really, it's the woods555 that (might) look a lot like the TMan 555.

Quick Reply: What would you do? Crank and cam plate