Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Seeping Everywhere, Rocker, pushrod, crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:23 PM
magnethead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeping Everywhere, Rocker, pushrod, crankcase

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this fourm and the world of HD. I just picked up an Iron 2 months back and have 2500Km on it. I've notice small seeps (I wouldn't really call them leaks), they just change the color of the metal really. It difinately started with the Rocker boxes which I cleaned and the seep reappeared. The bottom of the push Rods is a recent event. I had mineral Oil in it originally and switched to the HD semi-senthitic aat 1600Km

I should point out that I broke the Engine in according to the rules at this site. Which basically say you get a better seal on your piston heads if you go hard on your engine for the breakin phase I just needed an excuse to ride hard. The pictures of the heads after he rebuilt his engines really did it for me

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

It All started here, Front rocker, Rear rocker is not as bad.

and then spread to the PUSHROD area here

and now that I look closely, THis tube going into the centre of the Crankcase has a small leak too (See where the Red plumber tape is wraped around the bung) ..Help this is only a brand new bike!!

Your Help would be greatly appriciated

Thanks
Nathan

Old 05-07-2009, 04:31 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I would hit it with a torq wrench and just make sure the fasteners are properly torqued. Do not over torq tho. I would then clean it up really good and see if it still seeps. If it does I would take advantage of your warranty. I have 65,000 miles on mine and no seeping at all.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:17 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Umm, the rest of the engine is filthy. Just wondering why the slight seapage is bothering you?
Ron

Old 05-07-2009, 11:44 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Make sure the breather system is in proper working order and not plugged up at all. If not, switch back to regular oil.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:44 AM
magnethead
Intermediate

Thanks Guys, My first step is to check all the torques for each of the nuts(like MTclassic said), I scheduled the bike to be dropped into the stealer next week. I will let you know the outcome if I manage to stop this seeping.

This started happening before I replaced the stock air filter with the K&N, I don't think the air ways are blocked in any way. How much blockage are you talking about Baggerdsm? I only intended on using the regular oil for the break-in period, I really want to stick with the Semi-Synth as it's better for the engine life

THanks again

Last edited by magnethead; 05-08-2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 AM
magnethead
Intermediate
Default Feedback

Sorry I know this is well late! But just to leave a bit of feedback.

1. The rocker boxes are still leaking 3 years later! but I've learned not to care, the oil level hardly loves in the tank. Dealer wouldn't even bother with it during the first two years of warrenty.

2. The push rod leak was solved by tightening the bolt (happy days)

3. The crankcase leak is still there but not worth worrying about either! I was a new Harley owner and I guess oil leaks come with the territory

Old 03-30-2012, 06:54 PM
IronWright
Road Captain

switch back to dino and your probs should be solved...

Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 AM
Neenjah
Advanced

I hate bringing threads back from the dead like this but I thought this would contribute. On my 2010 Street Bob I am having a little seepage around my push rod tubes at the base exactly like your picture, so after reading your solution, I will tighten the bolts.

Now, for the rocker box seepage... before my dyna, I had a 2008 XL1200N Nighster. From the day I got the bike it had seepage around the rocker box, It went in under warranty twice for that issue, among other things. They never stopped the leak! I was wet in that same spot the day I traded it in.

Who knows.