Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Hot Air and the Twin Cam 96

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 02:57 AM
fendrix
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Air and the Twin Cam 96

I read this article in the new Enthusiast mag. Just wondering if anyone out there has done the EITMS yet and what changesin sound, etc that it makes while activated. Seems like running on one cylinder even while idling would be hard on the engine. Any problems noticed yet?

Here's an excerpt:

H-D is offering a free, dealer-installed software upgrade called the Engine Idle temperature Management System (EITMS). During hot idle and only when the motorcycle is stationary, EITMS shuts off fuel to the rear cylinder and allows it to cool down rapidly. When that cylinder cools, or the motorcycle moves, normal operation resumes and the transition is seamless from the rider's perspective...
For the record, I'll just keep wearing long pants and boots...but I know some other people out there have complained about the heat coming off the 96 and might not know about this service....

Old 05-12-2007, 03:20 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Hot Air and the Twin Cam 96

ORIGINAL: fendrix

I read this article in the new Enthusiast mag. Just wondering if anyone out there has done the EITMS yet and what changesin sound, etc that it makes while activated. Seems like running on one cylinder even while idling would be hard on the engine. Any problems noticed yet?

Here's an excerpt:

H-D is offering a free, dealer-installed software upgrade called the Engine Idle temperature Management System (EITMS). During hot idle and only when the motorcycle is stationary, EITMS shuts off fuel to the rear cylinder and allows it to cool down rapidly. When that cylinder cools, or the motorcycle moves, normal operation resumes and the transition is seamless from the rider's perspective...
For the record, I'll just keep wearing long pants and boots...but I know some other people out there have complained about the heat coming off the 96 and might not know about this service....

It only cuts off the rear spark while the clutch is disengaged....as soon as you let out the clutch the switch on the clutch makes contact and the rear cylinder come back on line. This system will let you smell raw fuel when activated. It doesn't come on the bikes stock....you have to have it loaded in.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:11 AM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From H-D Service Bulletin M-1191 dated 07/14/2006:

[align=left]Activating Engine Idle Temperature[/align][align=left]Management System (EITMS)[/align][align=left]Upon request of the customer, apply the necessary optional[/align][align=left]dealer enabled engine calibration to activate the EITMS[/align][align=left]capability using the Digital Technician Tool. Review/explain[/align][align=left]the following system function to the customer:[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]System Function[/align][align=left]When engine temperature reaches a pre-determined point,[/align][align=left]the EITMS will turn off the rear cylinder fuel injector. Idle[/align][align=left]speed will be maintained, however the rear cylinder will[/align][align=left]become an “air pump” which will then work to cool the[/align][align=left]engine. The conditions required for this to occur are:[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]●High engine temperature[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]●Engine must be at idle speed[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]●Vehicle must not be moving[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]●Clutch lever must be pulled in or transmission in[/align][align=left]neutral[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]When these conditions are met, the rear cylinder will stop firing[/align][align=left]until one of the conditions listed above are no longer met.[/align][align=left]If the vehicle is moving, the engine temperature drops, the[/align][align=left]throttle is opened from the idle position, or the clutch is eased[/align][align=left]out while in gear the rear cylinder will again fire normally.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]When the engine is in EITMS mode you will notice a difference[/align][align=left]in idle cadence. Additionally there may be a unique[/align][align=left]exhaust odor. These are both considered to be normal conditions.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left][sm=icon_cheers.gif][/align]

Old 05-21-2007, 09:35 PM
cdfwoody
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had this installed on my 07 UC during my 1000 mi service. On the way home I got stuck at a traffic light the outside temp was around 105 and I could still fell the heat from the engine. It is almost to the point where you need to get off the bike so you don't burn your leg. I'm thinking about adding the heat shield now.

When I spoke with the service person at the dealer, he was not aware of this mapping. He kept saying the heat issue was normal. I told him it is not normal to get your leg burned while at a stop light. I guess they checked with the factory and located the new mapping. The verdict is still out.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:01 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ironic.

They have to have the motors run lean to meet EPA standards, and yet you can now get a map that allows the engine toemit raw fuel from the rear cylinder, in order to deal with heat issues caused by the EPA standards.