Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Need help for left turn signal/running lights problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 01:55 PM
BGNIGHTTRAIN
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help for left turn signal/running lights problems

Ok, so I took my 06 Nighttrain to a shop because left blinkers weren't working at all and my front and rear running lights were out as well. They are aftermarket blinkers(not sure what kind) and I have LED bulbs in the rear. The shop fixed it quickly and they worked fine for a day. Now I'm having the same issue again. This is my first bike and I'm no mechanic, especially when it comes to electrical and have no clue what I'm looking for! I just don't wanna spend anymore money than needed if its something I can do myself with some experienced guidance.

I'm assuming its probably a short somewhere, but, haven't had anytime to look anywhere other than under the seat. Do I need to pull the tank and look at the wires and look under the rear fender for bare wires? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 08-04-2014, 03:51 PM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your LEDs with a voltmeters. Or use a small battery to see if they will lit .if it don't reverse your LEDs if not working Lights is busted . Good luck.

Last edited by angelrod; 08-04-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:44 AM
BGNIGHTTRAIN
4th Gear

well it started working randomly and it'll quit randomly. As of now, they are working(the blinkers). I'm thinking there is a short somewhere or the TSM may be going bad....not sure though. I also bought a badlands brake/running light/ turn and load equalizer and every time I plug it in it blows the fuse. I'm thinking either something isn't wired right or it has to be grounding out somewhere in the rear.

If I unplug the harness, the front works like it is supposed to, so I'm assuming the problem is in the rear wiring somewhere. Maybe under the fender? Thanks for the input!

Old 03-08-2015, 01:23 PM
BGNIGHTTRAIN
4th Gear
Default Problem solved!!

Ok, so its been a few months since i got on here, but, the problem has been fixed. I removed the rear fender and found that my back tire had rubbed the wires to my blinker bare and they were grounding out! Unfortunately, the rubbed so close to the blinker housing that they were unrepairable...in short, I bought new ones and replaced/wired in a new set. It will eventually happen again due to the placement of the lights on the fender(custom cut on stock fender) I guess the only fix for that is to relocate turn signals to the frame somewhere.

Anyway, thanks for all the input guys...very much appreciated!!