Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

New Yuasa Battery Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Ybnormal67
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Yuasa Battery Leak

Hey all,

Put a new Yuasa battery in my Street Bob in May. The original battery was a stock and was always kept on a tender and removed in the winter. It finally died after 7 years so I am thinking this is normal. I charged the new battery as directed and then rode a couple times and put the new one back on the battery tender. I have only been on it 3 times since I put the new battery in. Today when I was taking my exhaust off there was battery acid that had leaked out inside the battery box and dripped down on to whats underneath. I took the battery cover off and it looks as though a small amount of acid has escaped from my battery and eating the paint off my cover. The battery is a sealed battery ( cover says do not remove - it came with acid already in it - its a Yuasa Black Battery )

I am hoping that the battery was just over filled from factory and that is where my leak came from during riding and charging. I removed the battery and inspected and found no cracks or leaks in the case. Anyone else have this happen to them?

It it possible the Harley Battery tender I use may have over charged it enough to cause the acid to expand and seep out the sealed top?

I am hoping its not my charging system. It was working before I changed batteries.....

Thanks