Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Battery Question New Battery Died

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:39 AM
My2Harleys
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Question New Battery Died

Just had a new battery installed by HD two months back. I kept battery on a tender but noticed after rides the tender would show red so less that 80% charged and would take a while to get up to green. Being new I hought that was strange so last week I figured Id keep he tender off for one full week to see how long battery lasts and in one week, maybe less, it was completely dead. I put the tender back on a while and it starts like a champ again.

Never had starting issues with this battery, I was only concerned seeing the tender go red after rides. The bike is a 2001 Sportster.

So is it normal for he tender to show red after rides then take some time to get to green? How long should a battery last without a tender, he concern there is going away for a few days and not being able to start.

Lastly, now that the battery completely died once (stating fine now and it recharges normal) is battery shot and am I better off replacing?

Thanks for any input!

Old 07-13-2014, 12:37 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by My2Harleys
Just had a new battery installed by HD two months back. I kept battery on a tender but noticed after rides the tender would show red so less that 80% charged and would take a while to get up to green. Being new I hought that was strange so last week I figured Id keep he tender off for one full week to see how long battery lasts and in one week, maybe less, it was completely dead. I put the tender back on a while and it starts like a champ again.

Never had starting issues with this battery, I was only concerned seeing the tender go red after rides. The bike is a 2001 Sportster.

So is it normal for he tender to show red after rides then take some time to get to green? How long should a battery last without a tender, he concern there is going away for a few days and not being able to start.

Lastly, now that the battery completely died once (stating fine now and it recharges normal) is battery shot and am I better off replacing?

Thanks for any input!
I don't think it's normal for the tender to show red after a ride. Your battery should show fully charged or very close to it. I suspect you have problems with your charging system.

Since your battery was new, I don't think one discharge will do a lot of damage. You should be Ok for some time.

Battery lifetime is a crapshoot. Normally a battery should be good for at least 3-4 years, but I've had HD batteries die after 1 year, even using a tender in the off-season. I've also had HD batteries last 6-7 years, but typically they are good for about 4 years.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:11 PM
My2Harleys
Advanced

Thanks. Is it normal for the battery to die after one week of non use?

Old 07-13-2014, 06:02 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Duplicate post

Last edited by nhrider1; 07-13-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:02 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by My2Harleys
Thanks. Is it normal for the battery to die after one week of non use?
Absolutely not normal!

Old 07-13-2014, 07:52 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Just because its new, doesnt mean its good. New parts fail. Usually not but it happens.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:55 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't pay that much attention to the color of the light on the smart charger, but I'm fairly sure mine starts off red when I plug it in right after riding.
I just bought a new battery this morning the bike wouldn't start even though it had been on the smart charger. The first thing I did was take off clean and re-tighten the battery cables but that didn't help.
Since it was Sunday I went to Batteries plus and picked up the new battery. The last one was a HD and it lasted 3-1/2 years and it was always on a smart charger when not in use.
The original battery lasted 5-1/2 years and I didn't use a smart charger on it.

Years ago I had a Yamaha with both an electric start and a kick start. I went into a store to buy something, when I came out it wouldn't start. I though what luck I still have the kick start. It wouldn't start with it either.
Tom

Old 07-13-2014, 08:04 PM
My2Harleys
Advanced

Under normal circumstances how long should this battery live with no use at all and expect to start the bike?

Im not opposed to getting a new battery but its very tight so before I struggle getting it out and replacing I figured I would ask so Im not replacing a battery thats acting normal and just died from my screw up of not putting on tender. I am a weekend rider so its going to sit for 5 days or so every week for the most part.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:04 PM
My2Harleys
Advanced

duplicate

Last edited by My2Harleys; 07-13-2014 at 08:35 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 07-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,375 Likes on 4,990 Posts

That bike has no security system that would cause a drain on the battery, so it should be able to go months without riding and still start right up.

Quick Reply: Battery Question New Battery Died