Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Bad speedo? Sensor? voltage? Help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Straight_To_Hell
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad speedo? Sensor? voltage? Help.

Hi guys, first post here.

I recently bought a 96 sportster 1200c with 9,000 miles on it and I've run into a couple of issues.

After purchasing, I changed the oil, primary oil, and adjusted the chain. Once finished I took the bike for a ride to the beach. She rode great. The speedometer and odometer both worked on the hour and a half ride to the beach. Upon coming home, I glanced down at the speedo, and noticed that the mph was at zero and the odometer was scanning what appeared to be random numbers or codes before going out completely. Speedo still has lights, but does not display any odometer or mph at all. Somewhere between 50-60 it seems like odometer wants to come back on, but simply displays a faint/disappearing "zero/0" on the screen.

I'm aware that many of these cases are common and are linked to the impossible to get to speed sensor, however it seems that most people that have had sensor issues also lose their automatic canceling turn signals. Which mine still work. Also, I cannot get the speedo to perform a diagnostics test. Is this common when a sensor fails?

I also had an issue upon returning home where the positive terminal on my battery was melted. Assuming from a loose terminal/old battery. I've installed a new harley battery and checked the charging system and everything seems to be ok on the multimeter from what I can tell. It does not seem like my regulator is sending too much voltage anywhere. Which I suspected prior. But even if it was, could this fry a speedo?

Does this still sound like a sensor issue to most of you? Is there a fuse that the speedo or computer runs off of? Having a hard time understanding what is happening simply because my self canceling turns still work just fine.

Any help is appreciated. Trying to avoid paying a premium at the stealer for something like this.