Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Rear running lights turn off after using signal

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:09 PM
malomj07
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear running lights turn off after using signal

I posted this in the Dyna section, but with no luck.

I have 2-wire LED turn signals up front wired to come on just as signals. 3-wire LED rear turn signals for run, stop, signal, and the factory tail light. Badlands load equalizer, and factory STT module.

When I first turn the key to ignition, everything looks perfect. I hit the brakes, everything is still good to go. When I do the turn signals is where I have the problem...

When I hit the signal, it works fine up until I cancel it. After I cancel it, the turn signal fades out completely and then the signal indicator on the dash remains dimly illuminated. Same happens for both sides. No more running lights, no more brake lights (in the turn signals, stock brake light still functions).

Replaced the TSM with a new unit, same symptoms. When I bypass the factory STT module, the symptoms are still there (plus the obvious one: rear signals don't light up for brakes). When I eliminate the Badlands LE, the symptoms are still there with the addition of hyper-flash.

I have no idea where to begin looking for the next solution. I have a multimeter, but no idea how to check wires to see if there's a problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Can't ride the bike until it's inspected and can't pass inspection with the lights as they are. Summer comes and goes fast up here in WI, so I'm trying to get this figured out as quickly as I can.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:31 PM
Heavens Warrior
Novice

I too am experiencing a similar situation and also losing a running light and the signal indicator dim after use. Any ideas?

Old 08-05-2015, 12:53 PM
malomj07
Intermediate

Well the bike has been through a lot of changes since that post was created. If I recall, the problem at the time was that the aftermarket lights used complete **** for wiring and the ground wire was the issue. I have since changed to the factory signal housings with Custom Dynamics LEDs with zero issues or complaints. If you haven't changed anything and are still running factory signals, I'd check the rear harness and make sure it didn't rub through somewhere and create a short.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Heavens Warrior
Novice

I am running all Custom Dynamics LEDs and have the Harley bullet style housings front and rear. Thanks.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:59 PM
customstrtbob14
Stage IV
Default Easy fix

You fixed ur problem u just need to marry the new tsm to the ecm otherwise it has no idea you changed the module ecm will act the same or might make it worse miotherwmaorQUOTE=malomj07;12750999]I posted this in the Dyna section, but with no luck.

I have 2-wire LED turn signals up front wired to come on just as signals. 3-wire LED rear turn signals for run, stop, signal, and the factory tail light. Badlands load equalizer, and factory STT module.

When I first turn the key to ignition, everything looks perfect. I hit the brakes, everything is still good to go. When I do the turn signals is where I have the problem...

When I hit the signal, it works fine up until I cancel it. After I cancel it, the turn signal fades out completely and then the signal indicator on the dash remains dimly illuminated. Same happens for both sides. No more running lights, no more brake lights (in the turn signals, stock brake light still functions).

Replaced the TSM with a new unit, same symptoms. When I bypass the factory STT module, the symptoms are still there (plus the obvious one: rear signals don't light up for brakes). When I eliminate the Badlands LE, the symptoms are still there with the addition of hyper-flash.

I have no idea where to begin looking for the next solution. I have a multimeter, but no idea how to check wires to see if there's a problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Can't ride the bike until it's inspected and can't pass inspection with the lights as they are. Summer comes and goes fast up here in WI, so I'm trying to get this figured out as quickly as I can.[/QUOTE]