Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Hard wire GPS/Cig Lighter-no power Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014 | 10:29 AM
ZOSO
|
Novice
Default Hard wire GPS/Cig Lighter-no power Questions

I have a 2010 Ultra with 30k miles on it. My cigarette lighter has suddenly stopped working. I have power at the fuse and no power at the lighter. I use a handlebar mounted GPS so I need the power. When I removed my fairing to begin searching for a cause, I decided to hard wire the GPS. On this site, I found out about the unused, available power wires that come off the head lamp wiring (apparently for a European headlamp). I purchased a power outlet from an auto store, attached male tabs to the wires and was able to plug into the headlamp female tabs with no issues. I then ran my GPS power cord from my handlebars to the inside of the fairing where I have plugged into the newly installed power outlet. As far as looks, it is awesome, very clean.
My question is simply… Do you think there is an issue with this cord being continually plugged in and powered whenever the bike is running? I will put a cap on the end when it is not in use so it does not get wet and possibly blow the fuse.
As far as my original issue… no power to the fairing cigarette lighter, I don’t even know where to start looking. I am open to any suggestions to this as well.
Thank you all in advance. There is so much knowledge out there thank you all for sharing.

Last edited by ZOSO; 05-04-2014 at 10:45 AM.